If the message “USB device not recognized” keeps popping up on your Windows 10 computer, it will deprive you of the data stored in USB. Unfortunately, you are not the only with this issue, many users encounter the same problem when they are using a USB and this could be infuriating. Luckily, you can stop the error message popping up by the following solutions explained in this article.
When you are trying to access data on an external USB hard drive, you may receive the following error:
“USB Device not recognized: One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.”
What causes will make USB unrecognized:
The unrecognized USB error can be caused due any of the following situations:
• Loading of an unstable or corrupt USB driver
• PC requires an update for issues that may collide with old Windows and USB external hard drive
• May be Windows missing other important hardware or software updates
• USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt
• Your PC motherboard may need updated driver.
Solutions: How to Fix USB Ports Not Recognized Windows 10
One of the easiest way is to connect your USB device directly to your computer, if you are using any USB Hubs. Remove the USB from the HUB and restart your computer. Once your computer reboots into the Windows system, re-connect your USB device to your computer directly through the built-in USB port. But if the error keeps still popping, proceed to try the following solutions.
To fix the above mentioned error many manual methods are available. But, it is recommended to use a proficient recovery tool to resolve the issue.
While performing any of the manual steps, if any procedure goes wrong you might be at the risk of losing your important data permanently, don’t worry!! You can easily recover data from USB drive with the help of an efficient recovery tool and later can try performing any of the manual methods.
SFWare USB Recovery Software is a secure pen drive data recovery tool. It is implemented with a powerful algorithm to identify and recover different file types. To recover lost/deleted data from USB drives, you just have to download and install the software on your computer and then follow the simple on-screen instructions. And you are done!
Recover Lost Files with SFWare USB Recovery Tool
Download and install the SFWare USB Data Recovery Software and follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Launch the application, main screen displays “Recover files” and “Recover Formatted/Corrupt” options. Select any of the preferred option and go to next.
Step 2: Select the drive to recover files from USB drive. Click on “Next” option
Step 3: Software scans drive and displays the recovered partition data. Double click and preview the recovered data and validate them.
Step 4: If data is appropriate and willing to save the results, then get the licensed activated and get the access to Save button
Note: The below given solution doesn’t assure complete guarantee to retain the data safe in your processor. It certainly helps in fixing the error if it is related to the particular issue say problem in the system driver or Windows updates etc.
Method 1: Uninstall USB driver and then reconnect the external hard drive
This method resolves issues where the loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.
1. Go to This PC and right click on it
2. Click on Manage > Device Manager > double-click Disk Drives
3. Right-click on the name of your USB external drive. Click Uninstall
4. Disconnect your USB cable and restart your PC
5. Reconnect your USB cable, the driver should automatically load.
Remember: Plug USB directly into your computer. Connecting your USB external hard drive into a non-powered USB hub can cause a lack of enough power to operate the external drive. If this method does not resolve your issue, proceed to Method 2
Method 2: Install the latest Windows Updates
This method will install the latest device drivers for your USB external hard drive.
1. Search Check for Updates in search box. Select Install updates available.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the updates.
3. If indicated, reboot your computer.
If your problem still exists, proceed to Method 3.
Method 3: Re-installation of USB controllers
This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.
1. Select Start, type device manager in the Search box and then select Device Manager.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click on a device and select Uninstall. Repeat for each device.
3. Once complete, restart your computer. Your USB controllers will automatically install.
If your problem still exists, proceed to Method 4.
Method 4: Disable USB selective suspend setting
This method prevents your USB external drive from powering down.
1. Select Start, type power plan in the search box and then select Choose a power plan.
2. Select Change Plan Settings and choose Change advanced power settings.
3. Select the box to expand USB Settings > USB selective suspend settings.
4. Select Plugged in, select the drop-down menu, and then select Disable.
5. If you’re using a laptop, first select battery, select the drop-down menu and then select disabled.
6. Select Apply > OK.
If this doesn’t resolve your issue, proceed to Method 5.
Method 5: Install your motherboard’s latest chip set drivers
This method updates your motherboard’s chip set drivers, so your computer will recognize your USB external hard drive.
1. Check for the name of the motherboard manufacturer on your computer’s documentation.
2. Go to your computer manufacturer’s support website. See Computer manufacturers’ contact information.
3. Navigate their website to find the appropriate drivers for your motherboard. For assistance, contact your computer manufacturer.
“USB device not recognized” This is a common error that occurs with USB devices. According to users, they are completely unable to read their files stored on the USB. Sometimes USB problems can stop you from transferring files. Perform the solutions that are described in the article if any of the solutions did not help you, make use of SFWare USB Data Recovery Software which is a secure USB drive recovery tool. It is implemented with a powerful algorithm to identify and recover different file types. It resolves any External device-related issues without making the things go complicated.
Summary: If you are one among those who has trouble accessing the Outlook due to…
Summary: A frozen PowerPoint can turn your important office presentation into a disaster. PowerPoint not…
Summary: Wondering why you are not able to access your PST file? Encountering an error…