Summary: checksum error in RAR files is one of the most annoying errors as it holds the extractions of contents from the zipped folder. Do not worry about your stuck files! This article brings you the easiest and free solutions to fix the WinRAR checksum error.
WinRAR Checksum error appears on the screen when some bytes of relevant information are missing from the file or the file header or RAR archive is corrupted.
Some of the common reasons that lead to the corruption in RAR files and causes checksum error in RAR files are listed below:
Reasons behind Checksum Error in WinRAR files
- One of the usual errors could be interruptions caused during the RAR files downloading process.
- Bad sectors on the drive also cause file corruption and leads to the checksum error.
- Other reasons like virus intrusion and extracting files from unreliable tools also causes checksum error in WinRAR files.
How to Fix Checksum Error in WinRAR?
WinRAR checksum error can be fixed with the help of 2 different approaches.
Method 1: Verify the “Keep broken files” check box
Method 2: Repair the Archive with WinRAR
To the fix the checksum error in WinRAR file, follow the methods mentioned below as instructed and verify if the error exists at the end of the process.
Verify the Keep broken files check box
Keep broken files, is an option available on the WinRAR application that you use to extract the files. The advantage of ticking this option is, it ignores the corruption in the file and helps you in extracting the content from the zip folder. Follow the below given steps to extract files without an error message.
- Firstly, right click on the Zip or RAR compressed file
- Select Extract Files from the options
- Tick mark Keep Broken Files located in Miscellaneous tab
- Click Ok When you choose the destination where it should be extracted to
Note: The file will be extracted to the destined location but will still display the same “checksum error”. Ignore the error and open the file. You will see successfully unzipped files.
This method works fine if you are focusing on single file corruption. If there is multiple header corruption on the RAR file, the method could fail to open the file.
In such cases, the complete archive needs to be repaired. You can make use of inbuilt tool or any trusted repair tool to fix the corruption in the RAR files.
Repair the Corrupt RAR files to fix Checksum error
To repair checksum error in WinRAR files, initially, you need to download and install WinRAR on your computer. WinRar has the inbuilt option which helps you to fix checksum error and repair the corrupt file. Follow the steps below to repair the archive.
- Right-click on your corrupted RAR or ZIP file
- Select Open with WinRAR from the menu
- When WinRAR opens, click the Tools menu -> Repair archive.
- Select the destination location where the repaired RAR or ZIP file has to be saved by clicking on the Browse
- Let the archive type remain unchanged and click OK.
- After the repairing process of the archive, click the Close
Note: The inbuilt repair process helps you fix only the minor corruption in the file. If your files are severely corrupted or damaged and if there is a presence of bad sectors on the drive, this method would not be the effective method.
Also, it directly works on your original files that might increase the file corruption. To fix any errors and repair the complete RAR files, all you need is a professional RAR file repair tool.
SFWare RAR File Repair tool is the most recommended software to fix the WinRAR checksum error. The added advantage of using the tool is, it doesn’t alter the original content of the file and works on the copy of the file. The tool also helps you in extracting the encrypted RAR files without any hassle. Try the software for free and fix the checksum error in WinRAR files
To fix the WinRAR checksum error or CRC error, download and install the SFWare Repair RAR File Software. Launch the application and follow the steps mentioned below.
- In the main screen, use Browse option to select the error causing corrupt or damaged file
- Click on Repair to extract corrupt RAR file
- Software initializes the scanning process to repair the corrupt RAR file
- Once the scanning completes, you will be able to see the repaired RAR file on the screen
- Choose the destination to save the fixed WinRAR file and click on Save option
Now, you can extract the RAR files and open it without any error. If you are facing trouble in extracting large .rar files, you can make use of the SFWare tool to fix and extract Large RAR files.
With the help of above mentioned methods you will be able to fix the checksum error in WinRAR files. You can prevent the checksum error in RAR files by making use of trusted antivirus and providing enough space to the downloaded RAR files.
If you were able to fix WinRAR checksum error with the help of the article, do share your thoughts in the comments section below.