If you are wondering what is Windows update error 0x80070002 and how to fix the issue, you are on the right track. This article guides you to fix the error code 0x80070002 on any Windows version including the new Windows 11/ 10. All you must do is to follow simple methods mentioned in the blog to fix the error code 0x80070002 and recover data lost during the Windows new update.
Although it’s quite natural to get annoyed by ‘New update available’ alerts on Windows, all updates cannot be installed or it cannot be ignored. Irrespective of any Windows update, you will often encounter Windows update errors like error 0x80070002, 0x80243FFF, 0x8024A003 and many more.
What is Error 0x80070002?
Error 0x80070002 is one of the most common Windows update errors. Generally, Error 0x80070002 occurs due to file corruption or registry problems and sometimes when time or date is unsynchronized leads to Windows update error 0x80070002.
Though error appears to be complicated to repair, it’s not that difficult to fix code 0x80070002. Before fixing the issue, know the causes and symptoms that lead to error 0x80070002.
Indications of the Windows Update Error Code 0x80070002
When you are working on the new Windows update, numerous errors like Windows cannot install required files, the system cannot find the file specified often occurs with the error code. You might also encounter “Error code 87 parameter is incorrect” while trying to start a new Windows update. Below are a few possible causes for Windows update failure or error 0x80070002.
- When the system fails to update important files
- If the computer fails to transmit files during the software update
- Modifying the drive letter of the system partition or volume
- Change in Windows default security provider
Windows Update Error Code 0x80070002 on Different Windows OS Versions
For Windows 10/8/7 version you may see “Error(s) found: code 80070002- Windows Update encountered an unknown problem.”
If you are running Windows vista you encounter “A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80070002.”
These errors occur when the system update fails and the failure leads to mismatch data problems in the system. Below are a few possible causes for Windows update failure or error 0x80070002.
- Irrespective of any scenario, most of the users face data loss situation after the Windows update. To overcome such situations, it is recommended to back up your system files and other important data before performing the update.
- If your data is lost after the Windows update, you must use a data recovery software to recover files from the computer.
How Can I Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070002?
Below given methods are the most effective way to fix the error 0x80070002. Follow the steps carefully to resolve the issue created during the Windows update.
Method 1: Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Go to Windows search bar, Type troubleshoot, Select Windows update and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Choose Apply this fix.
This is the basic method to fix any Windows update issue. If the 0x80070002 error message continues to pop up, try the other given methods to fix the issue.
Method 2: Change date and Time Setting to fix 0x80070002 error
- Type Date & Time in the search bar, check if set time automatically and set time zone automatically is enabled.
- If its disabled, select change under change data and time setting.
- Restart the computer before trying for Windows update.
This method may be an unwelcome way to fix the error 0x80070002, but it works in most of the cases. if you still encounter the issue try the next given method.
Method 3: Scan and Fix Corrupted System Files
- Type command prompt in the search bar, right click> run as administrator.
- Now type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Wait until the process gets completed, type sfc /scannow and press enter
This is the easiest method to get rid of error 0x80070002 caused by corrupt system files. If this process repairs the file, it asks you to restart the PC and install the new update.
If the method fails to fix the issue, you will need to delete the corrupted files manually. If you are wondering that by deleting the files you will end up losing your important files, Do not worry! you can easily recover corrupt files without losing any data.
Method 4: Delete Corrupted Windows Update Files
- Press Windows + R keys and type services.msc < Enter
- Find Windows Update, right-click on the same and select stop
- Next, locate the SoftwareDistribution folder from the path c:\Windows, right-click on the SoftwareDistribution folder and delete. Or in case if you don’t want to delete the folder, just rename the folder, for instance, SoftwareDistributionY
- Now again follow the initial two steps, but replace stop with start option
- Restart your PC to check if 0x80070002 error still occurs when trying to install a new Windows update.
Method 5: Set Primary Partition Active
Error code 0x80070002 Windows update error can occur if the Windows OS is installed on the inactive partition or required drive partition is missing. In such cases, you need to activate the Windows OS existing partition or repartition the hard drive. If you choose to repartition the hard drive, it wipes data off the computer.
Therefore, it’s easy to fix error 0x80070002 by activating the partition. Follow the steps to make the current partition activate.
- Start the Run (Windows + R) prompt, type diskmgmt.msc, press Enter
- Disk management window opens, check for the primary partition, right-click on the primary partition and click on the Make Partition as Active option
Restart the computer and check for Windows update error 0x80070002. Most of the time this method fixes the issue. If your problem still exists, try a system restore method.
Method 6: Fix Error Code 0x80070002 with System Restore
Using a system backup is another easy method to fix various Windows-related problems, including 0x80070002 error. As you know, System Restore basically restores the previous state of the system’s settings.
Note: System restore only works when you have created a restore point. It is suggested to restore the most recent backups; as older ones tend to fail sometimes.
The advantage for Windows 10 users is, Win 10 OS automatically creates a backup before installing any new Windows update.
- Click on Windows icon, select setting, click on Update & Security
- Select Recovery option, go to Advanced startup and click on restart now
- Once the computer is on, go to setting < troubleshoot < Advanced option < System Restore
- Choose a restore point, click Next
- Though these methods help you in fixing the issue, it will not help you in recovering data lost during the Windows update. In such situations, it is always recommended to use an efficient data recovery software, that helps you to recover data from all the versions of Windows
SFWare data recovery software is a highly recommended tool to recover lost data caused by any Windows update error. The tool is designed with an advanced scan engine that searches through an entire computer system to locate the lost file.
Recover Data Lost from Windows Update Error 0x80070002
Download and install SFWare Data Recovery Software. Launch the application
Step 1: Select Recover drives/partition from the main screen
- Step 2: Choose the drive from where lost data has to be recovered and click on the Next button to initialize the scanning process.
Step 3: After the completion of the scan process, files can either be viewed Data view or File type view.
Preview recovered files after the Windows update and validate the same. If you are satisfied with the recovered results, Save the recovered data by activating the software.
- Windows update is a regular notification you usually observe while working on a Windows computer. When there is a necessity to update the Windows pops up with an error 0x80070002 message. This article talks about the ways to fix the error 0x80070002 easily. It’s quite common to face data loss after updating Windows. In such a situation, it’s recommended to use SFWare data recovery software to recover data lost while updating. SFWare also provides 24/7 technical guidance to answer any of your queries related to data recovery.