Isn’t it annoying to get stuck in-between making your important notes for your project? Or unable to complete your writing work on MS Word? If your Microsoft Word has stopped working or hangs often while working, you are at the right place. The article provides you all the workarounds to fix the error Microsoft Word stopped working with minimum effort.
Why is my Microsoft Word not working?
There are many reasons that cause damage to your MS Word application and inhibit the working of the application. A few of the reasons that causes MS Word to hang or not to work are listed below-
- Damage to MS Office settings or installation – the damage to MS office could be the main cause for Word stopped working and unable to open the Word file.
- Problem with device driver – if your device drive is not updated or out of date, it might create a problem in the working of Word document.
- Third-party add-ins – Third party add-ins in the Word program may lead to the often freezing of the Word file and doesn’t allow you to work on the file.
- Software conflicts – Other software’s conflict with application and leads to the application crash. But you can easily repair the Word document after the software crash by clicking on the given link.
- Others: Virus or Malware intrusion, incorrect installation of Word program, abnormal termination of Word, etc. can stop your MS Word from working.
If you were aware of why MS Word stopped working, it would be easy to fix the issue with the help of the proper method described in the next section.
How to Fix the Error Microsoft Word Has Stopped Working?
To fix the error Microsoft Word stopped working, follow each of the below mentioned methods carefully and perform one after the other for best results.
Basic Checks to Fix MS Word Not Working:
- Try to end the running Word application using the Task Manager. Firstly, Press Ctrl+T+Del keys to get Task Manager. Then, go to the Process tab and find Microsoft Word >> select end its task option.
- Check whether your operating system and Office is up to date. If your Office version or Windows system is out of date, Microsoft Office may stop working and even crashes. Install the latest Windows Update or Office Update.
Method 1: Boot your Windows into Safe Mode to fix MS Word error
To boot your Windows into Safe mode and make your Word work again, follow the steps given below:
1: At first, Reboot the PC, when the sign-in screen appears, hold the Shift key and click Power select Restart
2: Now options screen is accessible, select Troubleshoot >> Advanced optionsStartup SettingsRestart.
3: Press F4 when the computer is booting up. Now Windows starts in Safe Mode.
4: Run Microsoft Office Word to and check if it can work without error or not.
Method 2: Repair Office installation
If Word document doesn’t work in Safe mode, try repairing your Office installation.
1: Right click on the start menu choose Apps & Features.
2: Select the Office installation.
3: Choose Modify then select the Quick repair option.
Using the Quick Repair option will help you fix various Word errors and it doesn’t even take much of your time. If by any means, you end up losing your Word documents on your PC, do not worry, you can easily get back your Word files using a temporary file.
Method 3: Disable Add-ins in MS Word
1: Press Windows + R keys and type: winword.exe /a Enter to open MS Word without plugins.
2: Click File >> Options > > Add-Ins
3: Click Manage at the bottom and select COM Add-ins, Now uncheck one after the other and click OK to confirm.
After unchecking one after the other add-ins, restart Word to check if the issue has been resolved.
Method 4: Replace the Normal.dot Global Template File
To fix the error MS Word has stopped working, you need to close all running MS Office programs on your PC. You can make use of the following repair method across any of the office applications such as Word, Excel. Follow the steps below to start:
1: Press Windows + X >> select Command Prompt
Sign in if the program requires administrator permission.
2: Enter the command below and hit Enter:
ren %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\OldNormal.dotm Normal.dotm
3: Wait for the command to complete and exit Command Prompt.
After this, restart your Word application to check if you can use it to edit documents or create new files again.
By performing any of the above mentioned methods, you’ll be able to fix the error. After fixing the error, if any of your documents gets corrupted or damaged you can make use of the Word Document Repair tool, which easily fixes the issues on Word document and gets back your file without any harm. Click on the download button now and fix your Word document in 3 clicks.
You can make use of this tool to repair any versions of Word document. That includes the latest 2019 version and on any Windows platform (Windows 11/10 and older versions).
MS Word Stopped Working: Repair Corrupt Word Document
To fix the corruption or damage in Word document, Download and install the SFWare Repair Word Document Software and launch the application. Follow the below given instruction-
Step 1: Select corrupted or damaged Word documents (DOC or DOCX) file using Browse option
Step 2: Next, click on the Repair button to start repairing process
Step 3: Once the repairing process completes, you can view and validate the repaired word files using Preview option
If you are satisfied with the results, provide the desired location and Save the file.
Microsoft Office Word stops working and is one of the most common errors. It can be easily fixed using all the methods mentioned above to fix the error.
If you were able to fix the error using the methods mentioned in the article, do share your thoughts in the comment section below.