Outlook is the widely used email client application across the world. What happens if your most important email can’t be opened due to sending a reported error 0x8004010f outlook data file cannot be accessed. The error clearly states that you are unable to access any data on the outlook. If you are facing trouble in accessing the Outlook data, here are few workarounds brought in for you to resolve the error.
An Outlook data file, most commonly known as OST and PST holds all the key information with regards to your Outlook account. It stores all the Outlook attributes like emails, contacts, notes, calendar etc.
With all this data stored in it, facing cannot access Outlook data file error acts a wall between you and your precious Outlook data. Worry, not you will be fixing the Outlook error by the end of this article and gain back access to your Outlook data with a simple do it yourself solutions.
In layman terms, the error Outlook data file cannot be accessed means that you are no longer able to access the Outlook data file and you cannot download and synchronize your emails from the mail server.
In most of the cases, Outlook data file cannot be accessed when you try to move your Outlook data from one computer to another or different locations.
Few other reasons might include inappropriate Outlook profile configuration or Outdated Outlook applications.
Also, the error could be the result of the severe corruption in PST and OST file( Outlook data file)
Do not worry! With the help of the methods explained below, you can easily fix the Outlook error 0x8004010f and get access back on your Outlook data file.
(Outlook for Microsoft 365, Outlook 2021, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013)
Here is the quick navigation provided to guide you to the most convenient methods to fix the error Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
Follow the below-mentioned procedure to fix the Outlook data cannot be accessed file error.
- Go to File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings >> click Change Folder.
- Click New Outlook Data File to create a temporary data file.
- Enter a name for this new Outlook data file and then click OK.
- Now expand the subfolders and select Inbox folder. Next, click OK to close the dialog box.
- Again, click on the Change Folder button. Now select your Original Inbox folder data file by expanding the subfolder. Then click OK.
- Now click on the Data Files tab and remove the temporary OST file that you created earlier.
- Close the Account Settings dialog box and then click ‘Send/Receive’ to check if the error 0x8004010F is resolved.
If repairing a old profile doesn’t help you to fix the outlook error 0x8004010f Outlook data file cannot be accesses, you can try creating a new profile.
If your Outlook Profile is corrupted, it’s likely to encounter the send and receive error Outlook data file cannot be accessed. Creating a new profile can easily fix the error 0x8004010f without causing any trouble. To create a new Outlook profile, first you need to find the location of your default data file.
Steps to locate the Outlook data file:
- Open Control Panel >> Select Mail
- When Mail Setup – Outlook dialog box will appears >> click on Show Profiles
- Select your current Outlook profile >> click on Properties
- Again When Mail Setup – Outlook dialog box appears >> Click on Data Files
- The Account Settings dialog box will open >> Click on the Data Files tab.
- Now, note the name and location of the Outlook profile. Close and exit.
Steps to create a new Outlook Profile by Auto Account Setup
- Press Windows Key + X to open the Win+X menu >> choose Settings from the list.
- In Settings click on Accounts >> Email & accounts.
- Click the Add an account
- In Add an account Select Email Account option, enter your profile name and the required account information. Click Next.
- Click Finish and your account will be created.
Steps to Set up Outlook profile manually
- Go to the Control Panel >> select User accounts >> Mail.
- Click on the Add
- Input the profile name >> click OK.
- In the Add New Account window >> select Manually configure server settings or additional server types >> click Next.
- In the service dialog box >> select Internet E-mail >> click Next.
- Enter your account details in the Internet E-mail Settings
- Under Deliver new messages to the section >> select Existing Outlook Data File, click Browse and locate your data file.
- Click Next and your new Outlook profile should be successfully created.
Configure the new Outlook Profile
- Open Control Panel
- The Mail Setup – Outlook dialog box will open >> Click on Show Profiles
- Select the option Always use this profile and select the new profile from the drop-down under it. Click OK.
- Click on the button Email Accounts in the Mail Setup tab.
- Under the Account Settings, move to Data file tab and click on set as default. Click on Close at last.
If creating a new profile didn’t help you solve the issue, then the problem should be with your Outlook data file.
You can make use of the Microsoft Inbox Repair Tool or Scanpst.exe is a built-in feature of Microsoft Outlook, to diagnose and repair errors in PST files.
To repair the data files, follow the below mentioned steps-
Step 1: Locate and Run the Inbox repair tool. Browse or provide a folder path where the PST file is saved.
Folder path- C:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\root\Office16 Quick Note: The above path applies to Office 2016 and Office 365. If you’re using Outlook 2013, use the path: C:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\Office15. In case of running an older version of the application, change “Office15” in the path to “Office14” for Outlook 2010 and “Office13” for Outlook 2007 in the path.
Note: If you are not able to locate your ScanPST.exe file click here to know more about ScanPST location.
Step 2: Then, click on Start to initiate the scanning process
Step 3: Finally, click on the Repair button and fix trouble-causing Outlook error data file cannot be accessed.
Note: Inbox repair tool works with respect to minor corruption on outlook data files. If the Outlook PST or OST files are severely damaged or corrupted, the Inbox repair tool cannot repair the files.
Sometimes, there are chances the files recovered after repairing Outlook might get corrupted due to improper execution.
If you are unable to fix the sending reported error 0x8004010f: Outlook data file cannot be opened with the manual methods mentioned above, the only choice left is to make use of the Outlook PST repair tool to repair the PST file and generate a healthy accessible PST file with all your Outlook data intact.
With SFWare PST repair tool you can safely repair severely corrupted Outlook data files that caused send receive error 0x8004010f Outlook data cannot be accessed. The main advantage of using the software is, it doesn’t work on the original file. The integrity of the file remains unaltered. Download the software now and try it for free…
To fix the error 0x8004010f Outlook data cannot be accessed, Download and install the SFWare PST Repair tool and follow the below-mentioned steps carefully.
- The main screen displays three options, select one as per the need:
Open PST File, Select PST File, Find PST Files
- Select one of the options and go for either Normal Scan or Smart Scan from the next screen. Scanning process depends on the requirements given.
- Provide the destination path to save repaired PST files. Now, Click on Repair option to start the repairing process.
Once the process gets completed, verify if you are still encountering the error.
Hope now you know that Outlook data file cannot be accessed error is not as complex as it appears to be and can be easily fixed with the above mentioned DIY solutions. Now, you also know that the best shot at fixing any PST related issues is to make use of SFWare PST Repair Tool. Do you agree with the previous statement? Do you have any queries or doubts regarding the solutions mentioned in the article? Let us know in the comment section below.
Frequently asked questions
What is Outlook error 0x8004010f?
Sending/reported error 0x8004010f Outlook data cannot be accessed clearly states, the you will be no longer able to access any mailbox data through Outlook data file or can send or receive any data until you fix the 0x8004010f Outlook error.
What causes Outlook 0x8004010F Error?
As mentioned, the primary cause for the error 0x8004010F is OST /PST file corruption. Also, the error is a MAPI error that occurs at the time of synchronizing an offline address book. Damaged Outlook profile, inappropriate read/write permission, improper primary account setting all can lead to the error.
How to create a new Outlook profile to fix Outlook data cannot be accessed 0x8004010F error?
All you need to do is, first locate the Outlook data file and set up the Outlook profile. At last you need to configure the new Outlook profile created. You can follow the detailed steps in the article. Click here to follow the steps to create a new profile to fix the Outlook error 0x8004010F.