Windows operating system has become a part of every computer users day to day life. Any corruption to the operating system will leave you with no option than reinstalling Windows. However, reinstalling the operating system will erase all existing data on the drive. Therefore it is recommended to take a backup of data before you reinstall the operating system.
What if you forgot to take a backup and lost important data? Is it possible to recover data after Windows reinstall? Go through the article below to know more about recovering lost data after Windows reinstall.
Scenarios that lead to Windows reinstallation:
- If the computer show error that the “operating system is not found” it means the MBR is corrupted so the Windows has to be reinstalled.
- Virus infections might have made the computer function very slow so reinstalling the Windows might be the only option to remove the virus completely.
- Corruption in the hard drive due to bad sectors makes the hard drive inaccessible, making it necessary to reinstall the operating system.
- The latest Windows update and errors might have brought the computer’s performance down.
- A hard drive corruption could have erased the operating system, making it necessary to reinstall the operating system.
“SFWare data recovery software is the best at recovering lost data after Windows reinstallation. The tool uses a powerful algorithm that recovers data securely without damaging the original data. Download and try the SFWare data recovery software to recover lost data .”
What are the ways to recover the data after reinstalling Windows?
Before reinstalling Windows it is good practice to backup the data so that it can be recovered after the format process, but if the data is not backed up there are fewer chances of recovering the data unless a data recovery software is used. Here are two ways to recover data from Windows after reinstalling.
Method 1: Recover data using Backup File History
A Backup File History is an image data of the hard disk that holds recovered data in the hard disk from its previous state, the benefit of creating an image disk is that the important data can be stored and recovered after a reinstallation. Here are the steps to recover using the backup file history.
- Click on “start” at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Next, click on the “settings” option.
- Now find the “update and security” option and click on it.
- On the left side of the screen look for the “Backup” option and click on it.
- In the “Backup using file History” section click on “more option”.
- Next, select “Restore from a current backup”
- Browse for the files and click on restore.
Note: You can make use of System Restore option to recover lost data. this method only works if you have created a restore point prior to Windows installation. There are chances of data lost after system restore. despite such situations, you can easily recover lost data after system restore or Windows reinstalling.
Method 2: Recover data using Data recovery software
In case you have not backed up the data using a disk image, you may need the aid of a data recovery software. Download and install the SFWare Data recovery software and follow the below steps.
- Launch the application after installing
- You will be able to find two options on the main screen “Partition recovery” and “Formatted/Reformatted recovery”
- If you have selected “partition recovery”, in the next screen select the disk from which you want to recover the partition.
- If you have select “Formatted/Reformatted recovery, select the partition to be recovered.
- You will be shown the option to select the file format of the file that you want to recover, select the appropriate and click next.
- Once the scan is complete, all the recovered files will be shown click on the file, to preview the recovered and then save the file.
You can make use of the software not only to recover data lost after Windows re-install or system restore but also, retrieves data after factory reset in Windows.
Steps to avoid data loss after reinstalling Windows
- Take a backup of files by using disk image before reinstalling the windows.
- Make a list of all the necessary applications software and have a backup of the same, which can be used to restore after the Windows is installed
- Have a list of all the product activation keys of various products that need to be restored after the re-installation.
- Make sure that you have an updated windows installation kit because windows keep updating every year. It is better to have an updated installation kit for better performance.
Reinstalling Windows will certainly improve the performance of the computer when it’s done in a proper way. What if you lose the data on the computer.
Before reinstalling the operating system keep a data backup of application files as well as personal files to avoid data loss. Despite taking preventive measures if there is data loss after windows reinstall, use a data recovery software to recover lost data.
Do let us know if you were able to recover lost data after Windows reinstall in the comment section below.