If you have lost your files due to Windows reinstallation and finding ways to recover your old data from the computer, you are on the right track. The article provides 3 most successful ways to recover data after reinstalling the Windows OS.
Windows operating system is the most widely used OS across the world. Irrespective of its recognition, few scenarios will leave your OS damaged and no option than reinstalling the Windows.
Reasons for Windows Reinstallation
Below listed are the few reasons to show when you should go for reinstalling the Windows
- When you encounter an error “Operating system is not found”. The reason behind the error is either deletion or corruption of System files or Boot files.
- Windows System failure due to Virus
- Hardware failures causes Windows to crash
- Corruption in Windows Registry
- Interruption during Windows installation
- The latest Windows update and errors
Nonetheless, you may have to reinstall Windows due to above mentioned reasons. The Most important note to remember is reinstalling Windows leads to data loss if you aren’t cautious.
Reinstalling Windows Options:
When you initiate your reinstalling process, you will be prompted to two options. One is to Upgrade another one is Custom.
Apparently, Upgrade is opted when you would like to install a new Windows from the currently using Windows OS.
If you are reinstalling Windows due to the reasons listed above, you would want to go for Custom reinstallation where you will be asked to partition the hard disk. In which all the existing data on the drive is completely deleted to make sure you have an error free drive. Therefore it is recommended to take a backup of your data before you reinstall the OS.
What if you forgot to take a backup and lost important data? Is it possible to recover data after reinstalling the Windows? Let’s see more on it..
Can I Recover Files After Reinstalling Windows?
Yes, it is absolutely possible to recover data after Windows reinstallations with the help of trusted Data recovery software or from the backup if you have created one early before initiating the installation process.
Before reinstalling Windows it is good practice to backup the data so that it can be recovered after the format process, but if the data is not backed up, there are fewer chances of recovering the data unless data recovery software is used.
Amongst most of the software, SFWare is the most preferred tool to recover data after Windows reinstallation. Since the software uses advanced algorithms, it can reach out to all the sectors on the hard drive to recover the lost data. Download and try the software for free now…
How Do I Restore File After Reinstalling Windows OS?
Here are 3 ways to recover data from Windows after reinstalling. Follow the instructions to restore files.
Method 1: Recover data using Backup File History
A Backup File History is an image data of the hard disk that holds recovered data in the hard disk from its previous state, the benefit of creating an image disk is that the important data can be stored and recovered after a reinstallation. Here are the steps to recover using the backup file history.
Note: You can make use of the System Restore option to recover lost data. This method only works if you have created a restore point prior to Windows installation.
- Click on Start button, Go to Setting option
- Now find the Update and Security/ Recovery option and click on it.
- Click on Backup option. Recover data using Backup using file History →More option -> Restore from a current backup
- Now, browse the files and click on restore.
Method 2: Data Recovery through System Restore Point
System Restore Point also works similar to backup file history. A restore point is used to restore the computer files to an earlier point. It is created automatically by your computer when it notices the change in the OS. You will be able to recover data if you have created the restore point earlier.
If you have created a restore point and backed up files on the same drive that is installed with Windows. You will not be able to recover lost data even after system restore. This is because when you format or reinstall Windows all the data will be deleted.
- Open Control Panel → Recovery
- Select the restore point created recently before the Windows installation process , click Next and Finish
Note: Make sure your system protection should be turned ON. To do this, select Configure System Restore → Configure → Turn ON
Method 3: Recover data using Data recovery software
Download and install the SFWare Data recovery software and Launch the application after installing new Windows OS.
- You will be able to find 3 options on the main screen. Select Recover Drive/Partitions.
- Select the Physical drive from which you need to recover your important data. Scanning process initiates.
- Once the scan is complete, all the recovered files will be shown in Data View or / File Type View. Click on the file, to preview the recovered and then save the file in any desired location on your PC.
You can make use of the software not only to recover data lost after Windows reinstall or system restore but also, retrieves data after factory reset in Windows.
Guidelines to avoid data loss after reinstalling Windows
- Take a backup of files by using disk image before reinstalling the windows.
- Make a list of all the necessary applications software and have a backup of the same, which can be used to restore after the Windows is installed
- Have a list of all the product activation keys of various products that need to be restored after the re-installation.
- Make sure that you have an updated windows installation kit because windows keep updating every year. It is better to have an updated installation kit for better performance.