If you are one of those Photoshop users troubled with a corrupt or damaged PSD file. Well, this article answers all your queries and helps you restore and repair the corrupt Photoshop files.
Basically PSD stands for Photoshop Document and is the default format used by Photoshop applications to save the data. Irrespective of the file types, there are certain things that make your PSD file corrupt creates trouble to open the PSD file.
Working on Photoshop can be tricky. Especially if you are a beginner, you might end up spending a whole lot of time on getting used to Photoshop. Amidst all your efforts, there are chances that you might encounter an Photoshop error due to which you might end up losing your precious PSD files.
How would you know the PSD file is corrupted? Why are you not able to open the PSD file?
Reasons Behind Photoshop File Corruption
PSD files are in general very complex in nature and hence vulnerable to corruption. Listed below are some of the main reasons:
- Abrupt closing of Photoshop while working on PSD file leads to the unexpected ending of the file. Click on the link to know how to fix the unexpected end of file error.
- Sometimes inappropriate compression techniques used to compress the PSD files also leads to Photoshop file corruption.
- Usage of inappropriate tools to for converting a PSD file to other formats can cause corruption in the file. Meanwhile, any issues related to system such as application crash can make PSD file not open.
Indications of PSD file Errors:
If the PSD files are corrupt, one of the following errors would occur while trying to open the file.
- This file contains one or more layers which appear to be corrupt.
- The document filename.psd could not be opened. Photoshop cannot open files in the Adobe Photoshop file format.
- Photoshop cannot open files in the Adobe Photoshop JPEG file format.
- Photoshop cannot open files in the [other file format Photoshop should be able to open] format.
The occurrence of the above mentioned errors are common in all the versions of Photoshop. The appearance of error might vary from new versions of Photoshop 2020, CC 2019, CC, CS6, CS5 and older versions.
Methods to Repair Corrupt PSD and Restore Files
Even when you encounter errors while opening the PSD file in Photoshop, you can restore the PSD files using the easy methods mentioned below.
First of all we need to check if the problem is associated with the PSD file or the Photoshop application. To do that, try opening other PSD files in Photoshop. If you are able to open it, that indicates the application is fine, but there is a problem with a particular PSD file.
Note: If none of the files are opening, there may be a problem with Photoshop. In that case, reinstalling Photoshop is found to resolve the problem in most cases.
Method 1: Restore the corrupt PSD files from previous version
Note: You can make use of the previous version only if you have saved the version before the file gets corrupted. If you have no saved previous version, you can skip this method and follow the next method as instructed.
- Right-click the corrupted or damaged PSD files → select the option: Restore previous versions.
- Find an earlier version of the damaged or corrupted PSD file → select Restore.
- Click Restore to confirm the order.
- Run Photoshop → open the restored PSD file again, click OK when a message pops up to warn that some text layers containing fonts are missing…
- Check all layers and remark the lost part with layers and save them as a new PSD file.
Method 2: Use .temp files to restore the corrupt PSD files.
If the corruption of Photoshop files is due to the abrupt crash of Adobe Photoshop or Windows system, try restoring the corrupted PSD files by using the temp files.
- Go to Photoshop → click on File
- Click Open → change the file extension from .psd to .temp.
- Click Open and you will be able to see your unsaved PSD files.
- Save to restore the corrupted PSD files from the .temp file into .psd on your PC then.
How to Fix PSD File Corruption on Mac?
If you are facing the trouble to open PSD files on a Mac computer, you can try rebuilding the Mac OS Launch Services database.
- Quit Photoshop.
- Open the Terminal application by choosing Applications → Utilities → Terminal.
- Input the following comment exactly as it’s written:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r domain local -domain system -domain user
- Press Return → Close Terminal
- Restart your computer → Reopen Photoshop and open your PSD file
With the help of the above mentioned methods, you can easily restore the psd file. What if the PSD file refuses to open or the PSD file is corrupted or damaged? Go through the next section to know how to repair your corrupt PSD file.
Is it possible to repair a corrupt Photoshop file that is not opening?
Yes, it is possible to repair corrupt Photoshop file that is not opening. All you need is a trusted and professional PSD repair tool. It is the easiest way to get back your PSD files.
SFWare PSD repair tool is a tried and trusted software to repair a corrupt Photoshop file. The software works on a read only mode to make sure the original file is safe during the repair process. After completion of the PSD repair process , a new healthy PSD file is created along with all the layers, color modes and text intact.
More importantly you get to preview the repaired PSD file for free. Without wasting your time, click on the download button below to get your PSD files back now.
Most sought after way to repair corrupt or damaged PSD file
To repair the PSD file, all you have to do is download and install the SFWare PSD repair tool and perform the steps given below.
Step 1: At first, click on Browse → select the corrupt PSD file that you have trouble opening.
Step 2: Then click Repair for the software to start repairing your file
Step 3: Once the repair process is complete, enjoy free of the repaired file and save it in desired location
Additional features of SFWare PSD repair software:
- Has the ability to work with both PSD and PDD files
- Can work with large or RLE compressed PSD files
- Ability to recover all layers of the PSD file separately
- Supports all color modes like Bitmap, gray-scale, CMYK color, duotone, multi-channel color
Working on Photoshop software can be fun and painstaking at the same time. It can get worse if you encounter any Photoshop error or have your PSD file damaged. However, with all the above mentioned methods you can easily open the corrupt files and also fix the PSD file corruption using SFWare PSD repair software.
If you were successful in fixing your corrupt or damaged PSD file using the above methods or if you have any queries regarding PSD repair, do feel free to mention in the comment section below.