Summary: MKV is a commonly used format to store multimedia content. There are multiple scenarios under which your MKV file might get corrupted and become unplayable. In this write-up, we will discuss what causes the corruption in your MKV files and how to repair it with ease.
- What is an MKV Video File?
- Why MKV Video File Not Playing on My Computer?
- Quick Methods to Repair Corrupted MKV Video Files
- Download MKV file again
- Download necessary codecs
- Update Video Drivers
- Use VLC media player
- Convert the MKV File to Different File Format
- Tips to prevent MKV file corruption
What is an MKV Video File?
MKV (Matroska Video) file is a commonly used multimedia file format. There are various benefits you can get with the usage of the MKV format. Some of them are listed below,
- Store multiple media components in a single file.
- Store multiple subtitle and audio components.
- Compatible with lots of media players.
- Video codec options: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), VP9, MPEG-2, and more.
- Audio codec options: AAC, MP3, AC3, DTS, FLAC, and others.
Why MKV Video File Not Playing on My Computer?
Like any video file, MKV can also be affected by corruption due to lots of reasons. We have given some of the common scenarios under which your MKV file might not play;
- The media player does not support MKV files.
- Missing or corrupted codecs.
- Outdated video drivers.
- Virus or malware infection.
- Broken header.
Quick Methods to Repair Corrupted MKV Video Files
Now that we have discussed what an MKV file is and how it can get corrupted, the next step is to find solutions to repair it effortlessly.
If you search online, you will find tons of methods to fix corrupt MKV files. But do they actually fix your videos? Not guaranteed!
So, we have selected and evaluated some of the commonly used and reliable methods to safely repair your corrupt MKV files.
1. Download MKV File Again
If you have downloaded the file from an unreliable source or lost your internet connection while downloading, then there is a chance that the file gets corrupted. In such situations, the solution is to re-download the file from a reliable source.
2. Download Necessary Codecs
Codecs are used to compress and decompress the file when playing video. Most of the time, your MKV file shows corruption could be due to the missing codecs. If you have missing or corrupted codecs, then you need to download and install the necessary for playing the MKV file. One of the popular codecs to play MKV files is K-Lite Codec Pack. Using this codec pack, you can also fix playback issues related to MP4 or MOV file format on your Windows.
3. Update Video Drivers
The other issue that causes video corruption is outdated video drivers on your Windows 10/11. Video drivers communicate between the operating system and the graphics card or hardware in the computer. When it is outdated, this will break down the communication and show video not playing issue.
Follow the steps below to check and update the video drivers on your Windows computer;
- Type Device Manager in the search box and click on Open.
- In the Device Manager window, expand Display adapters.
- Right-click on the graphics card and select Update driver.
- In the Update Drivers window, click on Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is any update available, you can follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it.
- Restart once the process is complete.
4. Use VLC Media Player
If you are still facing issues with the MKV files, then you can use VLC media player. It is a free and popular media player which can play a wide variety of multimedia formats such as MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, etc. Also, it repairs basic video corruption.
Below are the steps to repair corrupt MKV files using the VLC media player,
- Launch VLC media player and click on Tools, then select Preferences.
- In the Simple Preferences window, click on the Input/Codecs tab.
- Tick the Preload MKV files in the same directory, then for Damaged or Incomplete AVI file select Always fix.
- Now click on Save.
5. Convert the MKV File to Different File Format
Now that we have tried out some repair methods, you can also try to convert the MKV files to other formats such as MP4, AVI, and others. You can either use a converter tool or VLC itself to convert the corrupt file.
Below we have provided steps to convert MKV to a playable format using VLC media player,
- Launch VLC media player and click on Media, then select Convert/Save.
- In the Open Media window, click on Add, to select the file.
- Now click on Convert/Save button at the bottom of the window.
- In the Convert window, select Profile and provide the destination file path by clicking on Browse.
- Once the location is chosen, click on Save.
- Finally, click on Start and wait for the process to complete.
Note: If you are finding issues fixing MP4 or MOV files, then you can use SFWare video repair tool.
Tips to prevent MKV file corruption
You can follow some simple tips and prevent corruption in the MKV video files. Some of them are given below,
- Download MKV videos from reliable sources.
- Ensure a stable connection while downloading the MKV videos.
- Avoid interruptions in file transfer.
- Regularly back up video files.
- Use a compatible media player.
- Keep your media players updated.