If you are one of those Photoshop users who are annoyed by corrupted or damaged PSD files . Well, this article answers all your doubts and helps you in recovering and repairing corrupted Photoshop files.
Basically PSD stands for Photoshop Document and is the default format used by the Photoshop application to save data. Regardless of the file type, something can corrupt your PSD file, causing trouble to open it.
Working in Photoshop can be tricky. Especially if you are a beginner, you may end up spending a lot of time getting used to Photoshop. In all your endeavors, you might come across Photoshop errors and thus you might end up losing your precious PSD files.
How do you know a PSD file is corrupted? Why can’t you open PSD files?
Reasons Behind Photoshop File Corruption
PSD files are often very complex in nature and thus prone to corruption. Some of the main reasons are listed below:
- Closing Photoshop abruptly while working on a PSD file can result in the file ending unexpectedly. Click on the link to learn how to fix file error ended unexpectedly .
- Sometimes, improper compression techniques used to compress PSD files can also lead to Photoshop file corruption.
- Converting PSD files to other formats using unsuitable tools can result in file corruption. Also, any system-related issues such as application crashes may prevent PSD files from opening .
Signs of PSD file errors:
If your PSD file is corrupted, one of the following errors will occur when you try to open the file.
- The file contains one or more layers that appear to be corrupted. Continue reading Layers ?
- Cannot open file psd . Photoshop cannot open files in the Adobe Photoshop file format.
- Photoshop cannot open files in the Adobe Photoshop JPEG file format.
- Photoshop cannot open your file in the [ other file formats Photoshop should be able to open ] format.
The occurrence of the above errors is common in all versions of Photoshop. Errors may appear differently with new versions of Photoshop 2020, CC 2019, CC, CS6, CS5 and older versions.
Ways to Repair Corrupted PSD and Recover Files
Even if you face error while opening PSD file in Photoshop, you can use the easy methods mentioned below to restore PSD file.
First, we need to check whether the problem is related to the PSD file or the Photoshop application. To do this, try opening a different PSD file in Photoshop. If you can open it, the application is fine, but there is a problem with that particular PSD file.
NOTE : If no files open, there may be a problem with Photoshop. In such cases, reinstalling Photoshop was found to resolve the issue in most cases.
Method 1: Recover damaged PSD file from previous version
Note: A previous version will only work if that version was saved before the file was corrupted. If you do not have a saved previous version, you can skip this method and follow the next method as directed.
- Right click on corrupted or damaged PSD file → select option: Restore previous versions .
- Find earlier versions of damaged or damaged PSD files → Select Restore .
- Please click Restore to confirm the order.
- Run Photoshop → open the restored PSD file again, click OK when a message pops up warning of some text layers with missing fonts…
- Check all layers and remark missing parts with layers and save them as new PSD file.
Method 2: Restore damaged PSD file using .temp file.
If the Photoshop file corruption is due to a sudden crash of Adobe Photoshop or Windows system, try to restore the corrupted PSD file using a temporary file.
- Go to Photoshop → Click File
- Please click Open → Change file extension from .psd to .temp.
- Please click Open and you will be able to see your unsaved PSD files .
- Save then restores the damaged PSD file from .temp file to .psd on PC.
How to fix PSD file corruption on Mac?
If you’re having trouble opening PSD files on a Mac computer, you might try rebuilding the Mac OS Launch Services database.
- Quit Photoshop.
- Open the Terminal application by selecting Applications → Utilities → Terminal .
- Please enter the following comment exactly as text:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r domain local -domain system -domain user
- Press Return → close the terminal
- Restart your computer → reopen Photoshop and open the PSD file
With the help of the above methods, you can easily restore the psd file. What to do if the PSD file refuses to open or if the PSD file is damaged or damaged? Browse the next section to learn how to repair corrupt PSD files.
Is it possible to repair corrupt Photoshop files that cannot be opened?
Yes, it is possible to repair corrupt Photoshop files that cannot be opened. All you need is a trusted professional PSD repair tool . This is the easiest way to get back PSD files.
SFWare PSD Repair Tool is a reliable software for repairing corrupted Photoshop files. The software works in read-only mode to ensure that the original files are safe during the repair process . After the PSD repair process is complete, a new healthy PSD file will be created along with all layers, color modes and text .
What’s more, you can preview the repaired PSD file for free . Without wasting your time, click on the download button below to get back PSD files instantly.
Most Popular Ways to Repair Corrupted or Corrupted PSD Files
To repair PSD files, all you need to do is download and install SFWare PSD Repair Tool and follow the steps below .
Step 1: First, click on Browse → Select the corrupted PSD file that you are having trouble opening.
Step 2: Then click on Repair to let the software start to repair your file
Step 3: After completion of the repair process, enjoy the repaired file for free and save it on your desired location
Additional Features of SFWare PSD Repair Software:
- Ability to work with PSD and PDD files
- Large or RLE compressed PSD files available
- Capable of recovering all layers of PSD files separately
- Supports all color modes such as bitmap, grayscale , CMYK color, duotone, multi-channel color
Working with Photoshop software can be fun and tough at the same time. If you come across any Photoshop errors or PSD file corruption, things can get worse. However, with all the above-mentioned methods, you can easily open the corrupted file and also fix PSD file corruption with SFWare PSD Repair software.
If you successfully repaired your damaged or damaged PSD file using the above methods or if you have any questions about PSD repair feel free to mention it in the comment section below.