What happens when you format a hard drive?
The word 'formatting' may sound like a complicated term, but it is nothing but erasing data on your disk. There are 2 kinds of format, one is a Quick Format (or a high level format) and the other is a low-level format. Low-level format is basically a complete erase of the hard disk. That is all your drive data will be overwritten by 0's. This is the most secure way of formatting, because data recovery is very difficult in this case.
Quick Format on the other hand only removes the address details of the data present on the hard drive. But the actual data still remains on the drive and can be recovered if need be. When you quick format a disk, the system marks the disk as 'free'. As a result, the drive will be ready to accept new data written to it, thus overwriting the old data.
In most cases, when we say format, it is the Quick Format option that is being referred to.
Scenarios that lead you to format the drive and cause data loss
Due to corruption, bad sectors, virus attacks or other reasons, the system may display errors that prompt you to format the drive. Proceeding with formatting in such cases causes data loss. Some of the errors you may see are.
In other cases, your intention may be format a particular drive. But accidentally selecting a different drive also causes unintended data loss.
Built with efficient scanning techniques, SFWare offers the most streamlined approach to recover files from a formatted hard drive. It works flawlessly on all different brands of HDD's and SSD's and is available for both Windows and Mac!
Recover data from formatted hard drive using SFWare
SFWare recovery tool allows you to recover data safely from formatted hard drives. Whether you formatted your drive in error or you formatted your drive owing to a format error message, it is possible to recover the data lost using SFWare.
One of the highlights of SFWare formatted recovery tool is that it can be used with both hard drives and SSD's. It supports data recovery from SATA, SCSI and IDE interfaces.
When you say formatted data recovery, you are likely to recover data from an entire partition or from an entire hard drive. Hence, this process involves a very large amount of data. SFWare ensures that the original folder structure and file names are recovered, making it easier for you to identify the recovered files.
Following are some advantages of SFWare formatted recovery tool:
1. Download the demo version of SFWare hard drive recovery software and install it on your Windows computer
2. Select Formatted Recovery option in the main screen
4. In the next screen, you will be able to see all the available drives. Choose the formatted drive to recover and click on Next
5. Software starts scanning of the selected drive. Scanning and recovery time is based on the amount of data and size of the drive
6. Once scanning completes, you will be able to see recovered list of files. Use the File Type View to have files listed by file types and the Data View option to have files listed by folder structure.
7. Preview the files and purchase the licensed version to save the recovered files
How to correctly address an error that prompts you to format the drive?
When you encounter 'The disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?' or any such similar messages asking you to format the drive, please follow the steps below.
1. In the error dialogue that appears, click Cancel
2. Then recover data from the drive using SFWare hard drive recovery tool. This tool allows recovery from hard drives that display such error messages and also from drives that are inaccessible.
3. Once you have recovered data, you can repair the drive by formatting it. To format the drive,