Fix Error Message Outlook .OST Is in Use and Cannot Be Accessed
OST is the replica of your Exchange Server database. If OST file gets damaged or corrupted once, then it will be little hard to come out of the errors, warnings or Exchange Server issues which you may experience.
Among various errors faced by many Outlook users “OST is in use and cannot be accessed” is the most common one. And, fixing this OST error becomes even more tough job for those users who had never faced any trouble while accessing their Microsoft Outlook profile.
General causes that are responsible for the Outlook error OST is in use and cannot be accessed are:
- Poor network connectivity
- Office Communicator 2005 and 2007 are running in the background
- Unauthenticated usage OST file
- OST file being accessed by more than one user
- Inappropriate synchronization of OST and Exchange Server etc.
How to Fix OST Is in Use and Cannot Be Accessed Error?
Along with the error “OST is in use and cannot be accessed”, you can also see a fix that states, “Close any application that is using this file, and then try again”.
So, turn off the computer or close programs that are using your OST file and restart your system. If this doesn't solve the error OST is in use and cannot be accessed, then try below-mentioned troubleshooting techniques.
Solution 1: End Outlook Related Processes
- Press CTRL + ALT + Delete keys at a time and select Task Manager
- Switch to Processes tab
- Find Communicator, Lync, ucmapi or Outlook
- If you find them, then select and opt End task
Solution 2: Deactivate Cached Exchange Mode
- Close Outlook application
- Open Windows Control Panel and go to Mail
- Select Email Accounts, then switch to Email tab
- Select the email address that giving you the error OST is in use and cannot be accessed
- Click the Change button
- Disable Use Cached Exchanged Mode option
- Go Next and Finish it
Solution 3: SFWare OST to PST Conversion
In case, your OST file is severely corrupted then you can make use of SFWare OST to PST Conversion software. It is the best fix than damaging the OST file even more by running Scanost.exe.
This tool, helps you to convert the corrupted or damaged OST file which is screening OST is in use and cannot be accessed error; and get back the complete set of emails, contacts and other attributes from it.
- Install SFWare OST to PST Conversion Software on your computer
- Launch the tool and select Open OST File option to select inaccessible, corrupt or damaged OST file (if you know its location)
- Opt Find OST File if you are not aware of the OST file location
- Specify the destination to save repaired OST i.e. converted PST file using Browse button
- Software scans, repairs and converts the corrupted OST file into healthy PST file
Why SFWare OST to PST Conversion Software?
- Easily converts any corrupt, damaged or healthy OST file into PST
- Repairs damaged or corrupted OST file first and then converts it by recovering all its attributes
- Converts even password protected and encrypted OST files created on any version of Microsoft Outlook
- During conversion, the tool doesn’t modify the original folder structure of OST file as it works in read-only mode
- Apart from fixing OST errors, the product supports you even in rebuilding Outlook OST file
- User-friendly interface and admirable technical guidance that helps in easy conversion of OST files to PST
- You can have a preview of converted PST file even before saving it on your computer
- This software is 100% free from all malware or spyware