Repairing Damaged OST File
If you cannot open your Outlook OST file due to its corruption, go through this article to recover emails from the damaged OST file.
Microsoft provides the scanost to diagnose and repair errors in the.ost files. Sometimes, scanost may report no errors in the file, but Outlook still can’t open the data file. So try running scanost repeatedly 3-4 times until the program returns an error. However, if your data file is really damaged, then it might be possible that the reason behind its corruption would be deletion of some emails or other attributes. And note the scanost is not able to recover deleted messages or any other attributes.
When scanost is not capable to fix OST file, follow the steps below to extract the email messages from the damaged data file.
How to repair MS Outlook OST file?
Use SFWare OST to PST Conversion Software to easily fix OST file. When your OST file is severely damaged and could not access its data, then this tool you to convert the corrupt OST to PST, thereby resolving the issue. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Download and install SFWare OST to PST Conversion Software on your computer
- Launch the tool and select Open OST File option to select inaccessible, corrupt or damaged OST file (if you know its location)
- Opt Find OST File if you are not aware of the OST file location
- Specify the destination to save repaired OST i.e. converted PST file using Browse button
- Software scans, repairs and converts the corrupted OST file into healthy PST file
Important features of SFWare OST to PST Conversion Software
- Quickly fixes and converts healthy, corrupted or damaged OST file to PST file format
- Compatible to exchange OST to PST file on different versions of Windows OS like Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Sever 2008, Windows 10, etc.
- Easily supports OST files which are created on Microsoft Exchange 5.0, Microsoft Exchange 5.5, Microsoft Exchange 2000, Microsoft Exchange 2010, etc.
- You get an original folder structure of Outlook attributes after conversion of OST to PST file
- This tool also helps in converting encrypted and password protected OST file to PST file
- After repairing OST file, it recovers all Outlook items like Emails, Attachments, Notes, Journals, Meeting requests, etc. from Outlook OST file
- Repaired OST file can be stored in any location except the location from which it is fixed
How does OST file corruption happen?
- Dangerous malware or spyware infection corrupts the file structure of Outlook OST file and makes all the files inaccessible which were preserved in it
- Header of OST file keeps all the details regarding its file size, file name, etc. If this header gets damaged, then you might end up with OST file corruption
- Any sort of interruption while migrating Outlook application from older to newer version also leads to OST file corruption
Others reasons include improper system termination while OST file is synchronizing with exchange server, system failure, software and hardware malfunctioning, networking faults, power failure, Outlook exit errors, etc. Sometimes, error messages also may pop up while synchronizing .ost file in Outlook application if Outlook is connected with mailbox on an Exchange executing server. Files stored in your .ost file may be missing after synchronizing it with your mailbox. Under such instances, process of fixing corrupted OST file can be done only with SFWare OST to PST Conversion Software.