How to Fix ‘unable to expand folder’ Error in OST
Well, there are many users who encounter various error messages while accessing Outlook OST file. It has been noticed that while trying to add another mailbox to Microsoft Exchange Server service in Outlook, Outlook may produce an error “unable to expand folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location.”
Here are the quick means to help you escape from it.
Fix #1: Turn on the ‘Folder Visible’ option for the mailbox that contains the folder you want to share
The error “unable to expand folder” can occur if the "Folder Visible" option for the second mailbox is not set by you. So here are the steps that can be applied in order to select/ turn on the folder visible option.
- Select the folder you want to share on your pc, right-click the Mailbox, in the Folders list and click Properties, on the shortcut menu
- Go through the Permissions tab, make selection of Folder visible option in the Permissions area
- Finally, Hit “Ok” tab
- You can assign permission to assigned folder
Fix #2: Repair OST file error unable to expand folder by ScanPST
To fix “Unable to expand folder” error of OST file, you can run Inbox repair tool. Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe tool) is a free utility provided by Microsoft to scan and repair OST file. This utility will fix different errors of OST file and scans OST file for synchronization errors. To start repairing Microsoft has added scanpst.exe utility in MS Outlook that can scan OST file for synchronization errors. This inbuilt recovery tool is located in the Local MS Office folder of your computer disk.
You need to follow the below procedure to run scanpst.exe utility. At very first, close the Microsoft Outlook.
- Go Through (C:) Drive >> Navigate to the "Program Files" >> "Microsoft Office" >> "Office14" >> Go to "SCANPST"
- Click on the "SCANPST” and choose the OST file that has to be repaired and choose the repair button
- Once, it will show a "Repair complete" message. Press the "OK" button
If the above methods did not work, then the only method to fix OST file error is to convert OST file to PST file using reliable third party utility.
Reliable solution for fixing OST file error
One of the most eminent ways of fixing OST file error: “unable to expand folder” is by utilizing SFWare Convert OST to PST Tool to convert OST file to PST file. This tool genuinely fixes all issues related to Outlook OST file by converting it to PST file format, so that there won’t be any loss of emails and other attributes from your mail account. You can utilize this tool to fix damaged / corrupted OST files that are encrypted and password protected. The software can convert OST to PST associated to Microsoft Exchange versions 5.0, 5.5, 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010 on all major Windows operating systems like Vista, XP, 7, 8, 10, etc.
Guidelines to convert error showing OST file to PST
- Download SFWare Convert OST to PST application on your Windows system
- Install and launch the tool by following onscreen instructions
- In the main screen, you will find two options
- “Open OST File” – select this option if the location of OST file is known
- “Find OST File” – select this option if OST file location on system is unknown
- Next, select required destination location to save converted OST file
- By clicking on Convert, the software starts to convert and fix file errors
- After successful conversion, view the converted OST file in Outlook mailbox view