How to Fix the error “no disk in drive, please insert a disk into drive”
Irritated by 'There is no disk in the drive, please insert a disk into drive/device' error message when you try to open a new removable device such as USB, hard drive or SD card on your PC? Look no further! Just follow the methods mentioned in this page and easily fix. no disk in drive please insert a disk into drive error.
Quick fixes for resolving the error - "no disk in drive please insert a disk into drive"
#1. Re-plug the Removable device
First of all, it is suggested to shut down your computer and reinsert the disk you are trying to connect into the removable drive. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Shut down your computer
- Then, unplug the device
- Attach the removable drive and insert it into a removable drive
- Then restart the PC
This may resolve your issue and the device can be used for storing new data.
#2. Change the drive letter
In order to change the drive letter that has been assigned to your removable drive, go through these steps:
- Press Win + X and Click Disk Management or Right-click on This PC/My Computer > Manage > Disk Management;
- Right-click on removable device or partition > Choose Change Drive Letter and Paths;
- Change the drive letter to any other drive letter which hasn’t been assigned in Windows system
Once done with this, reboot PC and you shall have fixed the no disk in the drive error by then.
#3. Disable the drive in Device Manager
- Press Win + R to open Run dialog
- Type: devmgmt.msc and click OK
- Expand Disk Drives > Find Removable drive (external hard drive, USB or SD card) and right click on it > Choose Disable
Restart PC and then you can check out whether you are done with fixing no disk in drive please insert a disk into drive error.
If the above solutions didn’t work, then it may be possible that the removable drive you are trying to connect has been damaged. Under such cases, the solution you can choose in order to fix the error - no disk in drive is recover data from the removable drive.
#4. Restore data from damaged removable drive
SFWare Partition Recovery Software, a simple yet easy-to-use tool helps you to retrieve data from removable drives like external hard drive, pen drives, memory cards, etc. To restore files from damaged drive using this application, follow these guidelines:
- Initially, download demo version of SFWare Partition Recovery Software on your system
- Install the tool, attach the removable drive to the software installed system and then launch it
- From the main screen, select "Partition Recovery" option
- In the next screen, you will be able to see all the available drives including removable drive connected externally. Choose the appropriate drive and click on "Next" option
- Software starts scanning of the select drive, scanning and recovery takes place
- Once it is completed you can be able to see recovered files using Preview option
- If you're happy and willing to save recovered results, then get the licensed activated and get the access to Save button
One of the superior feature of SFWare Partition Recovery Tool is to create disk images to recover data from bad sectored hard drives and other removable devices. Not only this, the utility is capable of recovering files from corrupted, lost, deleted, and formatted hard drive partitions.
The only thing you need to keep in mind while using this toolkit is to make sure the drive from where the data has to be recovered is safe from being over written!