How to Restore 0 Byte Files on USB drives
Corruption issues on USB devices can pose a variety of problems like data inaccessibility, error messages or in some cases, it may show all its files as 0 bytes. Learn how you can resolve the 0 byte file problem and recover those files using SFWare partition recovery software. Try it now!
USB drives are no doubt a great data storage device, thanks to its small portable size and large memory. Although it is a useful and reliable means of storage, like all electronic devices, USB drives do experience issues from time to time. Today, we’re going to discuss about an error that makes all files in your USB device show ‘0 bytes’.
The main reasons for this problem are viruses on your drive and file system corruption. Once these issues are tackled, you should get your USB to work normally. Now, let us see how to resolve this problem.
Solution 1: Check for viruses
Virus on your USB may be one of the reasons why all files on it are showing ‘0’ bytes. In order to resolve this problem, run an anti-virus scan on your drive to remove the virus. Once the USB device is cleaned, you should be able to get rid of the ‘0’ bytes problem.
Solution 2: Run CHKDSK
Corruption in the USB device can also make the files on it show ‘0 bytes’. In order to resolve such corruption issues, run CHKDSK on the drive using the following steps.
- Click on Windows + X keys and select Command Prompt (Admin)
- Once you are in the command prompt environment, type ‘CHKDSK /R X:’ (Please replace X with the letter of your USB drive)
Then wait for CHKDSK to complete its process and repair any file system errors in your USB drive. Once that’s done, check the files in your USB. You should ideally be able to access it and see its contents. However, if the above methods don’t help, it is best to recover data from the USB and format it. In order to recover data from the USB drive showing 0 bytes, SFWare partition recovery software is the perfect tool. It is designed to recover all your files like Word and Excel files, PDF’s, PPT’s and other documents.
More about SFWare partition recovery tool
In addition to recovering files showing 0 bytes from USB’s, it can recover data from corrupt, damaged or RAW USB’s. Also, not just USB’s, it can also recover files from other storage devices like corrupt or damaged hard drives, SD cards etc. The software also supports all file systems like FAT16, FAT32, ExFAT, NTFS etc. All brands of USB drives like Kingston, SanDisk, Transcend, Samsung, Patriot, HP, Sony, Lexar etc. are supported by the software.
Supported OS versions
- Supports Windows 10, Windows 8, 8.1, Windows 7, Windows XP and Vista
- The Mac version supports High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard etc
Procedure to recover files from USB showing 0 bytes using SFWare partition recovery software
As a first step, connect the USB showing 0 bytes to your computer and download SFWare hard drive recovery software. Then follow the steps below to recover data.
- 1. Click on Recover Drives in the first screen
- 2. Then click on Partition Recovery from the 2 options you see for Partition Recovery and Formatted Recovery
- 3. Next, the software displays a list of drives in your system; select your USB device from this list
- 4. Wait for the software to scan the USB drive and display all files within it
- 5. Then select desired files to recover and save them in any location; preferably not on the same drive from which they were recovered.
Protect your USB devices
Removing a USB device without safely removing hardware is the main cause of corruption in these devices. If you are transferring data to or from a USB, always make sure that the transfer process is complete before you eject the device. Secondly always make sure you click on Safely Remove Hardware to make sure all processes are complete and the device is ready to be ejected.
Note: SFWare also provides a file recovery version to recover lost or deleted files from your system and other storage devices like USB devices and hard drives.