Download Inbox Repair tool or Scanpst.exe for Outlook 2016
What is ScanPST.exe?
Scanpst.exe or the Inbox Repair tool as it is commonly known is a tool to repair Outlook. This tool is already present on your computer as it is downloaded as part of your Outlook installation. Basically what Scanpst.exe does is it repairs the PST file associated with your Outlook profile, as a result of which your Outlook will be repaired.
Scanpst can resolve most corruption issues in your PST files. It can fix header corruption problems and rebuild the file structure. It can also re-index and repair your PST file by deleting invalid indices.
Location of Scanpst.exe in Outlook 2016
In order to repair your PST file, you need to first find the location of Scanpst.exe. It is important to note that the location of Scanpst is different for each version of Outlook. For Outlook 2016, the location of Scanpst.exe is given below.
For Outlook 2016,
- 32-bit: C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- 64-bit: C:\Program files (x84)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
How to run Scanpst to repair PST file?
Once you have the found the location of Scanpst.exe, it is fairly straightforward to repair the PST file.
- 1. Double click on Scanpst.exe to open the application
- 2. Then click on Browse to select your PST file
- 3. Once you have selected the PST file to repair, click on Repair for the tool to start repairing your file
Here's a catch! When Scanpst.exe does not work...
Firstly, as the default Scanpst tool works directly on your PST data file, it can be dangerous, should someting go wrong. If the PST file is severely corrupt or is too large, Scanpst may not be able to handle it and repair your file. In such cases, professional PST repair tools are your best choice. SFWare PST Repair software is designed to repair all kinds of PST files whether large or compressed. It is capable of repairing all kinds of minor and major corruption issues. You can also use this tool to fix errors like ‘Microsoft Outlook has stopped working’ , ‘Outlook needs to close’ or ‘PST file cannot be opened’.
SFWare extracts contents of the PST file and repairs issues it finds. Once issues are fixed, a new healthy file is generated using which all your Outlook attributes like emails, contacts, calendars etc. can be recovered.
Steps to repair PST file using SFWare PST Repair
As a first step, download and install SFWare PST Repair software on your computer and follow the steps below
- 1. In the first screen, you will find some options on choosing your PST file. You can either select the PST file manually or allow the software to find your PST file automatically.
- 2. Once the PST file is selected, choose a destination where you would like to save the repaired PST file
- 3. Then click on the Repair button for the software to repair your file
- 4. Once the file is repaired, preview the repaired file and save it in the location specified earlier
- Supported Outlook versions: Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 etc
- Supported Windows versions: Windows 10, 8, 7, XP and Vista