How to Use ScanPST.exe in Different Outlook Versions
Of course, for regular Outlook users, ScanPST.exe is not new. But let me remember those who are less aware about this Microsoft in-built utility and explain about the same.
Well, this ScanPST.exe is an Inbox PST repair tool that helps in fixing damaged or corrupt PST file. Now you ask what is PST? When Outlook is configured with the Exchange Server, a file called PST is created automatically that acts as a file repository for the application. It consists of folders and sub-folders for managing the Outlook data in an organized way.
Precisely, we can say that PST, commonly called as Personal Storage Table is a file that contains a table where all the data is organized in folders and sub-folders such as Sent Items, Deleted Items, Drafts, Outbox, and many more.
If you find any errors or you notice that the Outlook data file has been damaged, the you can run ScanPST.exe and get rid of the problem. This tool checks for the inconsistencies present in the Outlook PST file and makes repair automatically. Once you launch this in-built repair tool, it will start scanning the file and compares its contents with the data stored in the corresponding PST tables. If any sort of mismatch is found in the data stored within the folders and subfolders of PST file and its corresponding tables, then the utility corrects the format easily.
It is very important to know the location of ScanPST.exe in order to utilize it. Well, the storage location varies from one version of Outlook to another as well as Windows operating system installed on the machine. Let’s look one by one.
Navigating to ScanPST.exe on different MS Outlook versions
In Outlook 2013:
- 32-bit Windows: drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
- 64-bit Windows: drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- 64-bit Outlook: drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Click-to-Run: drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15
In Outlook 2010:
- Windows (32-bit): drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Windows (64-bit): drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook (64-bit): drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
In Outlook 2007:
- Windows (32-bit): drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Windows (64-bit): drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
In Outlook 2003:
- 32-bit Windows: drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\(locale ID)
- 64-bit Windows: drive:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\(locale ID)
In Outlook 2002 and XP:
- drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\(locale ID)scanpst.exe
In Outlook 2000:
- drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\NT\scanpst.exe
Now, let’s understand how to use ScanPST.exe tool and repair the corrupt PST file. Go to this link – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaaZUit2IGU.
Limitations of ScanPST.exe
Although, Outlook ScanPST.exe helps in finding out and troubleshooting the inconsistencies associated with PST file, it sometimes fails to give satisfies results!
- It handles minimal level of PST corruption, it may fail to recover some attributes
- Integrity of data may be comprised
- It may not work well with large sized PST file
Then how to repair PST file when ScanPST.exe fails?
To deal with high-level corruption or damage, only a reliable repair tool helps to gain access to the lost Outlook PST mailbox. SFWare PST Repair Tool, a professional utility helps repair the Outlook file, regardless of any reason behind the damage. The tool allows recovering every single bit of data from all the folders and subfolders of Outlook mailbox.
The tool restores emails, contacts, calendars, RSS feeds, notes, journals, and many more. Be it a password protected or encrypted PST file, the tool will easily fix the corruption issue. What’s more, you can run this utility on any Outlook versions, including Microsoft Outlook 2000, Microsoft Outlook 2003, Microsoft Outlook 2007, Microsoft Outlook 2010, Microsoft Outlook 2013 and Microsoft Outlook 2016.