Runtime Error Outlook.exe
You have got loads of work to do, so you try to start Outlook to finish it. But to your surprise Outlook fails to start, and an ‘Outlook.exe Runtime error’ pops up. What could be the reason behind this error message and how to fix it?
Well, Outlook.exe Runtime error is usually caused by an installed third party add-in which prevents Outlook from starting normally. So whenever you try to launch Microsoft Outlook, you get the Runtime error message, and Outlook closes immediately.
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.
The error message looks like this; the version of Office you use will be displayed (Here Office 10 is stated). So the next step is to fix the error message in order to get back to working with Outlook. We tell you few methods by which you can fix the error message.
Method 1: Uninstall or Disable Antivirus software
More often, Runtime error in Outlook occurs due to installing Antivirus plugin in order to protect you from malicious mails. Under such a situation, you can temporarily disable Antivirus protection or you can even completely uninstall the Antivirus application, and then launch MS Outlook. If Outlook.exe runtime error has been resolved after uninstalling / disabling Antivirus application, then you can reinstall the latest version of the antivirus software.
Method 2: Disable Outlook add-ins
In this method, you have to start Outlook in Safe Mode to disable the plug-in that is causing the error. In order to start Outlook in Safe mode, hold down the Ctrl key and double-click on Microsoft Outlook shortcut. Or you can even type outlook /safe in the Run console, and click OK. In Outlook Safe Mode, navigate to Add-ins option and disable Add-ins.
- Go to File menu, and select Options
- On the left pane, select Add-Ins
- In the bottom right, select COM Add-ins and click Go…
- Uncheck all the checkboxes, and hit OK
- Once this is done, restart Outlook
After restarting Outlook, if Outlook starts normally without Runtime error, then you can enable the plug-ins one by one and restart Outlook, to find which plug-in was causing the error.
Method 3: Repair PST File
If both the methods failed, then the next thing to do is to fix Outlook PST file. Maybe the file could be corrupted. For this purpose, you can use SFWare PST Repair tool. This application will efficiently fix PST file corruption issues, when Outlook cannot be opened. Along with fixing PST file, the tool also recovers Outlook attributes like emails, contacts, notes, RSS feeds, etc. SFWare PST Repair utility also comes handy to fix not opening PST file, damaged PST file, freezing Outlook, and other Outlook issues.
Guide to Fix Outlook PST File after Runtime Error:
- Download and install SFWare PST Repair software on your system
- Launch the tool. On the main screen you can find 3 options – Open PST File, Find PST File, and Select Outlook Profile. Choose the appropriate option.
- After locating the Outlook data file to be repaired, click Next
- Now select the required scanning option, and also the destination folder where the repaired PST file has to be saved, and click on Repair button
- Once the file is fixed, you will get a notification. You can check the repaired file.