How to Fix PST File Cannot Be Opened in Outlook 2016?
Are you facing “Outlook data file cannot be accessed” error when you try to open your Outlook 2016 application? The error not allowing you to access your Outlook profile? Don't panic. The error appears when there is an issue with your Outlook PST file and this problem can be easily solved.
So, carefully read the methods of fixing Outlook 2016 PST cannot be opened error, provided in this page, implement an apt one and solve your problem.
Fix 1: Start Outlook 2016 in Safe Mode
Often, the issue “Outlook 2016 PST file cannot be opened” would be faced when there is some conflict between Outlook and other applications. And, starting Outlook in safe mode can fix the problem. So, first start the Outlook in Safe mode using this below procedure.
- Go to Start, open Run
- Type Outlook /safe, and choose OK
- In the Choose Profiles dialog box, accept the default settings of Outlook and choose OK
- If prompted, enter your password and choose Accept
Fix 2: Disable Add-ins
If Outlook doesn’t start in safe mode, then the problem is likely with one of the add-ins. You will need to disable all add-ins using these steps.
- In the upper-left corner of Outlook, choose File, then Options and Add-ins
- Clear all selected check boxes of Add-ins, and then choose OK
- Choose File and Exit
Now, start the Outlook 2016 application and try to open your PST file. If you are able to access the data present on Outlook 2016 PST file, then it’s well and good.
But, if you are still facing the PST file cannot be opened issue, then it means that the file is corrupted. So, use scanpst.exe to repair Outlook 2016 PST file cannot be accessed issue.
How to Fix Outlook 2016 PST Cannot Be Accessed Error Using Scanpst.exe?
- Close your Outlook application, if it is running
- Find Scanpst.exe on your computer (it can be usually found at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\office version)
- Double click on Scanpst.exe
- Browse and select the PST file that needs to be fixed (You can also type PST file location in the box Enter the name of the file you want to scan)
- Hit the Start button to initiate the scan
- Click on Repair to start the fixing process and ensure, Make backup of scanned file before repairing is opted
It is an easy-to-follow method. However, it has certain limitations like,
- This Inbox Repair Tool can’t handle all the issues detected in corrupt PST.
- It directly works on your original PST and this may damage the file further. In case, you forgot to back up the scanned PST file before repairing it, then you will be in trouble.
In order to overcome these confines, you need to go for the most recommended and safest way. And, it is via fixing the corrupt PST file using a professional method i.e. SFWare PST Repair.
SFWare PST Repair Tool:
To fix Outlook 2016 PST file cannot be opened issue, all you need to do is choose an efficient repair tool like SFWare PST Repair Software. This tool will repair PST file, which is damaged or corrupted due to CRC errors, virus infection, improper synchronization, PST oversize problems, the presence of bad sectors on the drive where PST is stored, and much more. Apart from this, the toolkit is enough capable to restore deleted items like emails, contacts, calendars, RSS feeds, journals, etc. from your Outlook ling with fixation. It will retrieve PST file attributes from both corrupted as well as healthy PST file. Some of the notable features of this application are,
- Simple and interactive interface
- Doesn’t modify any content while repairing the PST file
- Repairs highly encrypted, as well as password, protected PST file
- Assures to fix corrupted PST file without Scanpst
- It will also repair Outlook OST file
- Resolves corruption issues of a PST file, which is more than 20GB in size
- Allows previewing of PST file folders after repair
- Supports all versions of MS Office Outlook like 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 along with 2016
- Compatible to run on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 and 2003 operating systems
Step-By-Step Procedure for Fixing Outlook 2016 PST File Cannot Be Opened:
Download, install and launch SFWare PST Repair Tool program. Three options will be displayed on the main screen. Choose any one among those according to your situation.
- If in case the exact file location of the PST file is known, click on Open PST File option to select the file
- Choose Find PST File option to search for your Outlook PST file
- If you have multiple accounts, then utilize Select Outlook Profile option to select the PST file
After this, choose Normal Scan (for fixing trivial issues of PST) or Smart Scan (to fix severely corrupted PST file), browse the destination location to save the fixed file and click on Repair button.