How to Recover Outlook Contacts
Looking to recover MS Outlook contacts? Then, you have opted the right place! Well, the information provided in this page to restore Outlook contacts applies to all versions of MS Outlook including, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016.
You can often retrieve contacts from Outlook just like recovering emails from your Outlook mailbox. Basically, there are two methods you can employ in order to restore contacts from an Outlook PST file. The very first is, recovering contacts which are still in Deleted Items folder. And the next method is restoring contacts that are no longer in Deleted Items folder or they have been lost due to some reasons!
Method #1: Recover a contact that's still in your Deleted Items folder
When you delete a contact, it's moved to the Deleted Items folder in your mailbox just like a deleted email message. To find or recover a deleted contact, the Deleted Items folder is the first place to look. If the contact is there, here's how to recover it:
- Go to your email folder list, and then click Deleted Items
- Use the Search Deleted Items box to find the item you want to recover. Or you can sort by the Icon column to group all the contacts in your Deleted Items folder
- When you find the contact, right-click it, and then click Move > Other Folder
- To move the contact back to your list of contacts, click Contacts, and then click OK
Method #2: Recover a contact that's no longer in your Deleted Items folder
If you can't find a contact in the Deleted Items folder, the next place or an alternative to look is SFWare PST File Repair Software. This is an application whose usage is quite simple to help both beginners and technically skilled persons. After the application is installed, it will ask you to provide PST file from where the contacts are missing. Then, it will start a deep scan of the provided file for lost contacts. The scanning may take some time, but ensures finding all the deleted or lost contacts.
Step by step instructions to recover contacts from MS Outlook
Step 1: Download SFWare PST File Repair, install it and launch it. Select one of these below options:
- Open PST File - If you're aware of the PST file path present on your computer, then go for this option
- Find PST File - If you do not know the location of Outlook PST file location, then choose this option
- Select Outlook Profile - If there are multiple Outlook users/profiles existing on your computer, then this option will be appropriate
Step 2: Choose the appropriate option and proceed further.
Step 3: After locating the Outlook data file, click on "Next" option.
Step 4: Now you can select either "Normal Scan" or the "Smart Scan", then select destination folder where the output Outlook file has to be stored.
Step 5: Click on "Repair" button.
Step 6: Once the process is completed, you will be able to restore Outlook contacts.
What’s more, SFWare PST File Repair Toolkit restores other attributes of Outlook PST file such as emails, calendars, journals, RSS feeds, notes, etc. As the name itself indicates, the tool will fix corruption issues related to PST file. In fact, it will resolve all PST errors and corruption problems which can’t be resolved by ScanPST.exe tool.
Useful tips to avoid loss of contacts from Outlook
- Backup PST file to avoid loss of contacts in future
- Keep track of PST file size
- Never close MS Outlook improperly
- Always terminate Microsoft Outlook before recovery process
- It is recommended to make use of updated antivirus program to remove deadly viruses