How to Fix MOV Not Playing Video
“I found some old MOV video files that I use to be able to play but now when I click on them all I get is sound and no video. I have that latest version of QuickTime but they still won't play. Any suggestions? Please help!”
Under such cases, first of all make sure that your new QuickTime Player has got the .mov file type enabled in both "Mime" and "File Type" settings. Open the QuickTime Player, then click on "Edit", choose "Preferences", choose "QuickTime Preferences". Click on the "Browser" tab, then the "MIME" button and make sure the "QuickTime Movie" box is checked in the "Video" section. Next, click on the "File Types" tab and do the same thing.
You can try playing MOV video files using other players that are alternative to QuickTime player like VLC player, Windows Media Player, etc.
Or else you can try to install the corresponding video or audio codec needed for playback the MOV video that QuickTime does not support. In this method, you must first check the inspector or info windows to see what codec are contained within the MOV videos, then download and install this codec.
Another possibility…the MOV files are corrupted! If this is the case, then don’t worry. Here’s a reliable solution, in fact a great tool that helps in fixing damaged MOV files and then easily resolve the issue of No Video When Playing MOV Files.
SFWare MOV File Repair Software has all the abilities to repair MOV videos that are corrupted or damaged due to virus infection, Codec error, file header corruption and other issues. QuickTime MOV video files created on digital cameras, camcorders, video recorders, Smartphones, etc. that refuse to play can be easily fixed within a span of time using this tool. The program has two separate versions to support on both Mac OS X and Windows platforms. Just try out the trial version to know about the efficiency.
At times, if MP4 video file cannot be played or showcase error while playing in any media player, make use of SFWare MOV File Repair Tool without much effort. It has ability even to fix files whose audio not in sync with video on both Mac and Windows.
Steps to fix MOV file not playing video
- Download SFWare MOV File Repair Software on any computer where MOV file resides
- Install the tool and run it based on given instructions
- In the main screen, select a healthy MOV file and affected MOV video by clicking on Browse button
- After selecting the files click on Repair button to enhance repair process
- The status shows the progress of fixing the video file
- After completion of scan process, click on preview to view the description of repaired MOV file
- Then select a destination location to save this new MOV file and click on Save
- When upgrading the media player version check for proper Codec
- Do not save repaired MOV file to the same location where affected file was stored
- Do not use unreliable video editing application to edit MOV files
Supported operating systems
For Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and 2008.
For Mac: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (64-bit), 10.7 Lion (64-bit), 10.8 Mountain Lion (64-bit), 10.9 Mavericks (64-bit), 10.10 Yosemite (64 bit), 10.11 El Capitan (64 bit) and 10.12 Sierra (64 bit).