RAR file checksum error is one of the most annoying errors as it holds extracting content from zip folders . Don’t worry about stack files. This article will show you the easiest and free solution to fix WinRAR checksum error.
A WinRAR checksum error occurs when some bytes of relevant information are missing from the file or file header, or the RAR archive is corrupted .
Here are some of the common reasons that lead to RAR file corruption and cause checksum error in RAR files:
Causes of WinRAR File Checksum Error
- One of the usual errors can be interruptions that occur during the RAR file download process.
- Bad sectors on drives can also cause file corruption and cause checksum errors.
- Other reasons such as virus intrusion and file extraction from untrusted tools also cause checksum errors in WinRAR files.
How to fix WinRAR checksum error?
WinRAR checksum errors can be fixed using two different approaches.
Method 1: Check the “Keep corrupted files” checkbox
Method 2: Repair the archive with WinRAR
To fix checksum error in WinRAR file, do the below methods as instructed and check if the error exists at the end of the process.
Check the “Keep corrupted files” checkbox
Keep broken files. This is an option available in the WinRAR application used to extract files. Selecting this option has the advantage of ignoring file corruption and allowing the content to be extracted from the zip folder. Follow the steps below to extract the files without any error messages.
- First, right click on the Zip or RAR compressed file
- From the Extract Files option select
- Miscellaneous tab in Tick Keep Broken Files
- Click Ok if you select a destination where it should be extracted
Note : The files are extracted to the specified location, but I still get the same “checksum error”. Ignore the error and open the file. You should see the successfully unzipped files.
This method works fine if you are focused on single file corruption. If the RAR file has multiple header corruptions, the method cannot open the file.
In such cases, the complete archive must be repaired. You can make use of an inbuilt tool or a reliable repair tool to fix RAR file corruption .
Repair Corrupted RAR File to Fix Checksum Error
To repair checksum error in WinRAR file, first you need to download and install WinRAR on your computer. WinRar has built-in options that help fix checksum errors and repair corrupted files. To repair the archive, follow the steps below.
- Right click on the corrupted RAR or ZIP file
- From the Open with WinRAR menu select
- When WinRAR opens, click Tools menu -> Repair archive .
- Select a location to save the repaired RAR or ZIP file by clicking on Browse
- Leave the archive type unchanged and click OK .
- After the archive repair process is complete, click Close
Note : The built-in repair process helps fix only minor corruptions in your files. This method is not an effective method if the files are badly corrupted or damaged and there are bad sectors on the drive.
It also works directly on the original file which can increase file corruption. To fix errors and repair complete RAR files, all you need is a professional RAR file repair tool .
SFWare RAR File Repair Tool is the most recommended software to fix WinRAR checksum error. An added benefit of using this tool is that it works on a copy of the file, leaving the original content of the file unchanged. This tool also helps you extract encrypted RAR files easily. Try the software for free to fix checksum error in WinRAR files
To fix WinRAR checksum error or CRC error, download and install SFWare Repair RAR File Software. Launch the application and follow the steps below.
- On the main screen, use Browse option to select the error that caused the damaged or corrupted file
- Click Repair to extract the corrupted RAR file
- Software initiates scanning process to repair corrupted RAR file
- Once the scanning is completed, the repaired RAR file will be displayed on the screen
- Select a destination for the fixed WinRAR file and click Save option
Now you can extract the RAR file and open it without error. If you are facing problems in extracting large .rar files, you can use SFWare tools to fix and extract large RAR files. .
You can use the above methods to fix checksum errors in WinRAR files. Checksum errors in RAR files can be prevented by using a reputable antivirus and providing sufficient space to downloaded RAR files.
If you were able to fix WinRAR checksum error with the help of the article, share your opinion in the comments section below.