Wondering why you are not able to perform any of the actions like copy, cut, delete or edit on the files saved on your external drives when connected to your Windows computer? It’s likely because of the error 0x80071AC3 or Your Volume is dirty. If you are one among those who are facing the error 0x80071AC3 dirty volume, you are at the right place. Stick till the end of the article to know more about the error and the methods to fix the error, Volume is dirty.
What does error 0x80071AC3 mean?
The error code 0x80071AC3 or the volume is dirty doesn’t mean that there is any physical dirt on your volume. Instead it refers to the memory space on your storage drives where data resides. Any damage or corruption to these memory locations can lead to the volume is dirty error.
You might encounter the error code 0x80071AC3 or the volume is dirty mostly when you connect your external hard drive, USB drive or SD card to your computer. error pops up when you connect your external hard drive to the Windows computer. If you are encountering the issue, you will be unable to cut, copy, delete and edit files on the external drive. .
What causes the Error 0x80071AC3: The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty?
The most common reasons behind the volume is dirty error 0x80071AC3 are as mentioned below:
- Bad sectors on your hard drive, USB drive or SD card
- Damaged or corrupt USB port
- Outdated Drivers
- Enabled Readyboost feature on Windows
Tip: If you have an inaccessible hard drive and you are wondering how to repair and recover data from the inaccessible drive or corrupted drive, here is the way out.
The below mentioned repair methods to fix the error volume is dirty involves data loss conditions. Therefore, it is always recommended to have a backup. If your drive is inaccessible, you can try recovering data using a best recovery tool- SFWare Data Recovery Tool
How to fix the error The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty?
The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty and can be fixed by following the easy methods explained in this section.
- Run CHKDSK
- Reinstall the Driver for the Faulty Disk Drive
- Disable Ready Boost
- Modify the Registry to Allow Writing to the Drive
- Format the error causing drive
CHKDSK is the inbuilt feature in Windows that verifies the integrity of the system files and fixes any logical errors in the system. Follow the steps given below to fix the Error 0x80071AC3 .
- Go to Start bar and input cmd, right-click on the Command Prompt and prefer Run as administrator
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk: H /r and press Enter.
Where H is the error throwing drive letter, replace H with the respective drive letter.
This initiates the process on the selected hard drive for any errors and bad sectors. If any error is found, CHKDSK tries to fix the error including the Error 0x80071AC3 volume is dirty.
- Repeat the process until CHKDSK finds no errors in the drive. At last type exit to leave the Command Prompt window.
As mentioned earlier an outdated driver can be a culprit behind the volume is dirty error. Hence, try reinstalling the driver by following the below mentioned methods
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager
- Double click and expand the Disk drivers section
- Find the drive that displays the 0x80071AC3 error and right-click on it.
- Select Uninstall and OK to confirm the choice.
- Once it is confirmed, next reboot the system.
- Now, Open Device Manager as explained above. Go to the Actions tab at the top of the window.
- Select Scan for hardware changes
- When you select the scan for hardware changes, the system should automatically install missing drivers
ReadyBoost is a built-in Disk caching feature that helps improve system performance, by storing data as cache in a USB device.
If this feature is activated, it may prevent Windows from reading or writing the disk and might lead to Error 0x80071AC3 Volume is dirty.
Follow below shown steps to disable the ReadyBoost disk caching feature
- Locate the affected external storage device and select Properties
- From the dialogue box that appears, click the ReadyBoost tab
- Select the Do not use this device radio button, click Apply and OK
Sometimes you may not be allowed to copy or edit the files to the disk due to incorrect Registry configurations. Hence, try to initiate the following changes to overcome faulty configuration-
Important Note: Inattentive Registry modifications can put your computer into serious problems. Therefore, it is recommended to perform the steps indicated below carefully and in the right order. On the other hand it is always good to take a backup before going on to the steps.
- Press Windows key + R, input regedit → press Ok
- Click Yes on the UAC ( User Account Control).
- Once the Registry Editor is opened, navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control.
- Find the StorageDevicePolicies key on the left pane à click on it.
- Now, find the WriteProtect entry and double-click on it.
- Change the WriteProtect value from 1 to 0. If it’s 0, then keep it as it is.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Next, Close Registry Editor and restart the PC. Verify if the problem has been resolved.
If none of the above mentioned methods worked for you in solving the Error 0x80071AC3 the operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty, the last option that would be helpful is formatting the error causing drive.
As you all know, formatting will erase all the data present on the drive. When you are struggling to fix the error just to take back your important data saved on the drive, formatting the drive doesn’t sound like an ideal solution. What would you opt in that situation? Yes, you might be thinking if it is possible to recover data from the inaccessible hard drive? How? Well, here is the simple method to recover data from the hard drive without letting a bit of your data go.
SFWare hard drive recovery Software is the most recommended and trusted tool to recover data lost due to any hard drive errors. Not only the drive errors but also recovers data from corrupt or inaccessible hard drives. The tool supports recovery of data from both Windows and Mac platforms. Click on the download button now and try the software for free.
Now you can move forward to fix the error, The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty by formatting the error causing drive.
Format is the easy process to fix most of the errors that appear in external drives. Formatting the drive will surely fix the error 0x80071AC3 Volume is dirty.
NOTE: formatting will remove all data stored on the drive. Make sure that you have file copies before formatting.
- Open This PC and Right-click on the drive that you want to format
- Now, select Format and Click on Restore device defaults option
- Click OK to start formatting.
Beneficial Tip: If you have ever formatted any of your drive and are wondering how to recover data from the formatted external hard drives or USB drives, let me tell you, SFWare not only recovers data from the error causing drive but also restores data from the formatted external drives.
Error 0x80071AC3 : Volume is dirty can be easily fixed by performing any of the above mentioned methods with respect to the cause that lead to the error.
If you are worried for your important data stored on the external drives, Do not Worry! All you need is a trusted and safe hard drive recovery tool to keep your data safe and SFWare hard drive recovery tool is the most recommended and trusted Software to keep your data safe.
If the article was helpful for you to fix the error or if you have any question related to the error, you can share your thoughts in the comment section below.