I have this issue with my laptop in which an error pops up every time I open a Photoshop application that uses a secondary graphics card (AMD). An error displays: ‘load library failed with error 87:parameter is incorrect’. I tried to search for solutions for the same. I have tried many options but nothing helped me out to solve the error.
Above given example depicts one of the situations where you might be encountering error 87 parameter is incorrect problem. Not only the shown example, but there are also many other reasons that lead to error 87.
The article provides 7 various DIY methods to solve the parameter is incorrect error. Before heading to fix the error, let us see what are the other reasons responsible for the error 87 parameter is incorrect problem.
Few reasons for error 87 parameter is incorrect error
- Trying to copy files larger than 4 GB
- Error 87 can also occur when you try to copy restricted files to a SharePoint server
- When you try copying the corrupt data or due to hard drive errors and file errors.
- When you cannot establish the required network connection to start the service like Plug and Play, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and other related settings.
Error 87 parameter is incorrect error is unspecific, it can be caused due to any of the above-mentioned reasons or other related issues. Or there are chances of encountering the error when you try to start Windows update service. This might lead to a Windows update error 0x80070002.
Irrespective of the reasons, you can easily fix the error 87 parameter is incorrect by performing the DIY methods explained in the next section.
Fix Parameter Is Incorrect Error During Copying File
If you are encountering error 87 only due to copying large files from one drive to another, here are the easy methods to fix parameter incorrect error.
Method 1: Compress the file
You cannot copy a file if the parameter is incorrect message appears. In such situations, you need to split the large file into small files using any application like WinRAR, WinZip or 7-Zip. Make sure each file should be smaller than 4GB or equal to 4GB.
Method 2: Convert FAT32 to NTFS
Another way to overcome the parameter is incorrect error is to convert the drive to NTFS file system that supports a copy of more than 4 GB of a file.
Note: The following method includes converting the file system which will result in data loss. Hence, it is recommended to take backup of data before you perform any operation towards fixing error 87 parameter is incorrect.
- Type cmd in the search box and select Command Prompt, Run as Administrator
- Then type convert G: /fs:ntfs. Here G refers to the drive letter of the partition you want to copy a file to.
After performing the above-mentioned steps, If you receive an error This drive is dirty and cannot be converted, perform chkdsk /f to clear the dirty bit and fix the problems in the current drive. This requires a reboot also.
If you did not take a backup and lost data from the drive, you can still recover lost or formatted files from the partition.
If the parameter is incorrect error is popping up due to other mentioned reasons other than copying the large file, try fixing the error 87 using given methods in the next section.
How to fix error 87: parameter is incorrect
Below are the 7 DIY ways to fix the problem related to the parameter is incorrect error. Perform each method one after the other and check for the error message by restarting the computer.
Let’s get started with the first method, Performing a clean boot on the computer.
Method 1: Clean boot
Clean boot eliminates any software conflicts that are responsible for causing the error 87 parameter is incorrect. Log on to the computer as an administrator and perform the below-given steps:
- Go to the search box and type msconfig
- Select System Configuration to open the system configuration box
- Find the Services tab and select Hide all Microsoft services box
- Click Disable all and again go to system configuration, select Startup tab
- Click Open Task Manager and close all the Task manager then click Ok
Now, restart your computer to check for the error. If you are still unable to fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
Method 2: Run DISM tool
DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. It helps in fixing Windows corruption errors when Windows update fails to work due to corruption errors damaged system file. Follow the steps to fix the error 87 parameter is incorrect issue.
Note: The DISM tool usually takes a longer time to complete. Do not cancel when it is running.
- Type cmd in the search box and click Command Prompt
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth to scan for missing components
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth to check for missing or broken files
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to scan and correct any Windows issues
- Press Enter
Once the repair is complete, reboot your computer and check if the problem exists, if the error 87 the parameter is incorrect still exist, go to the next solution.
Method 3: Use System File Checker to repair damaged Windows files
A System File Checker scan checks or scans all system files for errors and fixes the issue.
- Go to the search field box, type cmd, and select Command Prompt, Run as Administrator
- Type sfc/scannow and press Enter
Wait until the scanning process completes. it may take time to complete. Restart your computer and try to install Windows updates again.
If running System File Checker didn’t help you to fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
Method 4: Use Windows App Troubleshooter
The app troubleshooter automatically fixes some of the problems that may prevent apps from running, which includes incorrect security or account settings.
- Go to the search field and type Control Panel
- Go to the top right corner and change View by option to Large icons
- Click Troubleshooting and click on View all option on the left panel
- Select Windows Update and follow the instructions to run the app troubleshooter
If the above-given steps did not work to fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect problem, try updating the display driver.
Method 5: Update the Display driver
Error 87 could also occur due to the problem in display drivers, use the steps given below to update the Display driver and see if it helps:
- Right-click Start and select Device Manager
- Find Display Adapters and click on Display Adapters to expand the list of adapters
- Click Update Driver Software and select automatically search for the updated driver software
- Restart the computer and check whether error 87 parameter is incorrect still persists.
If you are still facing the error, turn off firewalls and any antivirus or malware prevention software temporarily. At times, these applications may prevent you from performing certain tasks or run processes on your computer.
If you are unable to follow any of the above-mentioned methods to solve the issue error 87 parameter, the other best method to overcome the issue is to restore your system back to the date when this issue was not present.
To Restore your computer data, you need to create a restore point prior. If no restore point is created, then this method would not help you restore your data. Worry not! Recover your lost files after system restore by clicking on the given link.
Error 87 parameter is incorrect is an error caused due to many reasons that are specified in the earlier section of this article. With all the above-mentioned methods you should be able to fix the error easily. Do make sure you have a backup of data before you perform any of the above-mentioned methods. However, if you encounter data loss and do not have a backup, make use of SFWare data recovery software to easily recover lost data.
If the above-given solutions have helped you solve the error 87 parameter is incorrect problem, share your thoughts in the comment section below.