If you are a Dell user, you might have encountered several hard drive and software related issues while using your PC. One such hard drive related error most of the Dell users come across is the error code 0146. The article helps you understand what 0416 error code is, and with best workarounds explained here, you will be able to fix the error 0146.
Hard drive error code 2000 0146 in Dell computers indicates that it has severe logical errors on the drive that could lead to hard drive failure. It can also cause your system to freeze and crash the system applications or stop responding for a long period of time.
If the error is not being resolved in the initial state, this would lead to the damaging of the system and result in data loss from the hard drive. The error is mainly caused due to the corruption in the program files or a malware infection. Sometimes bad sectors on the drive also lead to the error 0146.
What Causes Hard Drive Error 0146?
The error is mainly caused due to the corruption in the program files or a malware infection. Sometimes bad sectors on the drive also lead to the error 0146. If the error is not being resolved in the initial state, this would lead to the damaging of the system and result in data loss from the hard drive.
It is always recommended to take a backup of the data before you start applying any methods to fix Dell error code 0146.
Note: You can make use of the most recommended tool to recover data from hard drive. SFWare hard drive recovery tool is designed with the deep scan feature for a complete search on the file system to detect and recover files.
How to fix the Dell PC error code 0146 on Hard Drive?
The article provides to you 6 different methods to fix the Dell error code 0146. All you have to do is try each of the methods carefully and check if you have fixed the error.
Method 1: Run Entire PC for Virus Scan
The chances of your hard drive getting infected by the virus is high if you do not have an antivirus software. Viruses or malware affects working of the computer system by damaging the program files and leads to drive errors.
It is recommended to make use of any trusted antivirus or update the existing one and run a virus scan on your PC. If scanning the entire PC does not stop the appearance of error code 0146, try out the next method.
Method 2: Run PC in Safe Mode and Clean Boot
The error 0146 can easily be resolved by booting your system into safe mode and cleaning the boot files. Make sure you disconnect all the devices such as printers, Wi-Fi adapter, modem, etc. and follow the below mentioned steps.
- First, shut down your system.
- Restart your system and keep tapping the F8 key until you see the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ screen.
- On the screen, select Safe mode with Networking using arrow keys and Click Enter.
- Now press ‘Windows Key + R’ and type MSConfig and click Ok.
- In the System Configuration Utility window, click the General tab and then, click Selective Startup.
- Deselect the Load Startup items checkbox.
- Lastly, click on the Services tab, check Hide all Microsoft services, click the Disable all button.
Restart your system again and check if the hard drive error code 0146 exists on your system.
Method 3: Run System File Checker tool (SFC)
At times, corruption in the drive or incompatible file systems can lead to the above explained error code 0146. Running an SFC scan can help you to fix this issue. SFC repairs and replaces corrupt, missing system files and registry files. Follow the steps to run an SFC scan:
- Go to Start and type ‘cmd’ then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
- Type SFC /Scannow to run the SFC scan.
After the completion of the scanning process, restart your system and check for the error.
Method 4: Try Change BIOS Settings
Performance of your system can severely get affected by the improper settings of BIOS. Therefore, it’s mandatory to check that there is no change in the system’s BIOS settings. Follow the steps to reset the BIOS settings to default, which can help you fix your hard drive 0146 error.
- Restart system and press ‘F2’ continuously when system boots until you see BIOS settings.
- Select ‘Reset to Default,’ ‘Setup Defaults,’ or similar option in BIOS Settings to reset
Restart your system and allow the system to boot normally. This might fix the issue with your hard drive and the error code 0146.
Method 5: Run Disk Cleanup
Disk cleanup helps in cleaning up all the unnecessary files from your hard drive. The Disk Cleanup not only fixes issues with the system but also frees up storage space by removing temporary files, empties the recycle bin which could be responsible for the error code 0146. follow these steps run disk cleanup on your system
- Go to Start, type ‘Disk Cleanup’, and hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
- Select the drive you want to clean up and then click OK
- Wait until Disk Cleanup scans your drive information. After scanning, select the checkboxes of the temporary files and click ‘OK.’
- A popup message appears. Confirm by clicking the ‘Delete Files’ button.
Method 6: Replace your Hard Drive
After completing working on all the above mentioned methods, if you still face the error code 0146 issue and find your laptop frequently freezing, it is suggested to check the health of your hard drive and replace the hard disk if necessary.
Note: Make sure you recover data from the damaged or corrupt hard drive before it completely fails and becomes unreadable.
Recover Data from the Laptop showing Hard Drive Error 0416
To Recover data from the laptop, Download and install the SFWare hard drive recovery tool on the device. Launch the application.
- Select the Drive/ Partition Recovery option from the main screen and select the drive to perform Dell hard disk recovery.
- The scanning process initializes. After the completion of the scanning process, recovered files from your corrupt hard drive are displayed.
- You can use either Data View or File Type View to navigate through the recovered corrupted drive files
If you wish to pause and resume this recovery session later, save the recovery session with the help of the Save Recovery Session option. Select the files and choose the destination folder to save the files.
Caution: It is advised not to save the recovered files on the same corrupt hard drive as it can damage the recovered data. Therefore, save the recovered data in different location than previously saved.
Most of the hard drive errors can be resolved easily using the above mentioned methods including the Dell hard drive error code 0146. It is always rewarding to keep the backup of the data.
It is suggested to fix the error as early as possible preventing further damage to the data on the drive. Also, regular use of disk de-fragmentation, anti-virus/malware protection and CHKDSK utility keeps the drive safe and protects the system from any corruption.