If you are looking for the easy way to recover deleted files from the USB Flash drive, you are not the only one. Deleting files from a USB flash drive is the most common mistake done by every USB user. With the help of the solutions discussed in the article, you can easily recover deleted files from the USB drive and know what might have caused data loss from your drive.
USB drives are the most convenient drives to store data as they are portable and easy to carry. But no matter what precautions you take the accidental data loss from a flash drive is inevitable. Let’s see in how many ways data can go missing or deleted from the USB drive.
Reasons Lead To File Deletion from USB
Apart from accidental deletion there are many reasons that cause data loss from USB flash drive or thumb drive.
- The drive might be damaged/broken or corrupted
- You might have accidentally formatted the USB or file system becomes RAW
- Improper handling of USB flash drive
- Removing the flash drive while the data is still being transferred
- Virus attacks and plugging USB into infected computers may cause data loss
Regardless of the reasons, there are certain things you need to follow as soon as you realize that files are missing from the USB flash drive. Keeping your best interests in mind, immediately stop using the drive, as this might wipe off your data permanently from the USB drive. As new data overwrites old recoverable data.
Once you stop using the flash drive, if you have deleted files from the computer, try recovering your files from the recycle bin or your backup. Recovering from backup is the easiest way to recover any deleted files from the drive. Because USB drives storage is not a part of the computer storage. Therefore, when you delete it it gets permanently deleted.
“I accidentally deleted important files from a USB flash drive, when connected to Windows 10 computer. I don’t even have a backup of those deleted USB files. What do I do now? Is there any way to restore permanently deleted files from USB, how can I retrieve deleted files from my flash drive?”
What if you are in a similar situation where you have no backup. You might be unable to recover it from the recycle bin if it was permanently deleted using Shift + Delete keys. Fortunately, you can still recover your files from the USB drive. Here are a few trusted and tried methods to restore deleted files from USB flash drives.
How To Recover Deleted Files From USB Flash Drive?
Here are the 3 ways to recover deleted files from USB drive-
Yes, it is possible to recover deleted USB files without software using CMD command. Follow the instruction given below-
- Connect your USB flash drive to computer
- Run command prompt in administrator mode: Right click on the Start button → Click on Command Prompt (admin)
- Type chkdsk X: /f in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter. D is the drive letter assigned to your USB
- Next, type “ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D X:*.*” and hit the Enter key. Replace X with the drive letter. Process takes time to get completed.
Wait until the process ends, if you were successful, you will see the recovered deleted files on a newly created folder on your USB drive.
Previous Version is the feature present in all new versions of Windows Operating System.
Note: This feature only works if you had enabled it before you happened to deleted your files. If it is not previously enabled, please go through the next method.
- Connect your USB flash drive to your PC. Go to This PC
- Right Click on the USB drive → Properties
- Go to Previous Version Tab → Restore
If you see no previous versions in the options, it means that you can’t use this method to recover files from your flash drive.
To recover deleted USB files you need a reliable and secure data recovery tool. SFWare USB recovery tool is a widely recommended tool with quick scan algorithms that efficiently recovers deleted files from any USB drives without compromising the safety of your files. The tool is available for both Windows and MAc platforms. Download the software now and try it for free.
Download and install the software on your computer. Connect the USB drive to your PC and launch the application to recover deleted files.
- From the main screen select Recover Files and choose the USB drive from which your deleted files need to be recovered.
- Scanning process initiates. After the completion of the scanning process, recovered files will be displayed in Data View or File Type View. View the recovered files according to your convenience.
- Preview the recovered deleted files from the flash drive. If you are satisfied with the result, save the recovered files.
You can use the tool to recover files from USB brands like Transcend, Samsung, SanDisk, Kingston, PNY and other USB brands.
When you perform deletion on a USB drive, the data appears to be erased permanently from the it. But this data remains on the drive even after permanent deletion, as only the pointers to the files will be deleted. Therefore, recovering deleted data from USB drive is possible. But not without the help of a recovery tool such as SFWare USB recovery software.
Some preventive measures to safeguard your USB data:
- Double check your files before deleting from USB
- Always keep the backup of your important files
- Avoid using the same USB drive on different systems
- Follow proper procedure while removing the USB drive from the computer