Did you just accidently delete the files from the USB flash drive and wonder if you could recover deleted files from USB? You can easily recover data deleted from the USB drive just by following a few easy methods shown in the article.
USB drives are the most convenient drives to store your files and important data including photos and videos. However, data can be lost from any of the drives due to multiple reasons such as corruption in the drive, damaged USB or malware. You might even format the drive when it turns RAW leading to the data loss.
What happens when you delete files from the USB Flash drives?
Once the data is deleted or formatted from the USB drive, the space of the existing data is marked free to occupy the new data. Hence, the deleted data will still be available to recover until the space is overwritten.
“I accidentally deleted important files from a USB flash drive, when connected to Windows 10 computer. I don’t even have a backup of those deleted USB files. Is there any way to restore permanently deleted files from USB, how can I retrieve deleted files from my flash drive?”
You can recover deleted files from a flash drive using 3 methods.
Either you can make use of the backups if you have or from the Previous Version from the PC.
Also, you can recover files that are deleted from USB using CMD prompt
NOTE: Above mentioned previous version method works only if you have enabled the version before deleting the files. CMD involves commands to run the process and might consume a long time to complete the process.
How To Recover Deleted Files From USB Flash Drive?
1: Recover Deleted Files from USB Drive using Previous Version
Previous Version is the feature present in all new versions of Windows Operating System.
- Connect your USB flash drive to your PC. Go to This PC
- Right Click on the USB drive → Properties
- Go to Previous Version Tab → Restore
2: Recover Deleted Files on USB Drive using Windows CMD
Command Prompt (CMD) is an application present in Windows computers that helps you fix logical errors on the PC. To recover deleted files from USB drive, follow the below given steps.
- Connect your USB flash drive to computer
- Run command prompt in administrator mode: Right click on the Start button → Click on Command Prompt (admin)
- Type chkdsk X: /f in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter. D is the drive letter assigned to your USB
- Next, type “ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D X:*.*” and hit the Enter key. Replace X with the drive letter. Process takes time to get completed.
If none of the above methods worked for you, here is the solution to recover files from the USB drive.
To recover deleted USB files you need a reliable and secure data recovery tool. SFWare USB recovery tool is a widely recommended tool to recover deleted files. With the quick scan algorithms SFWare efficiently recovers files from any drives without compromising the safety of your files. The tool is available for both Windows and Mac platforms that support the latest Windows 10 and macOS Big Sur. Download the software now and try it for free.
3. How To Recover Permanently Deleted Files From USB?
Download and install the SFWare USB Recovery software on your computer. Connect the USB drive to your PC and launch the application to recover deleted files.
- From the main screen select Recover Files and choose the USB drive from which your deleted files need to be recovered.
- Scanning process initiates. After the completion of the scanning process, recovered files will be displayed in Data View or File Type View. View the recovered files according to your convenience.
- Preview the recovered deleted files from the flash drive. If you are satisfied with the result, save the recovered files.
You can use the tool to recover files from USB brands like Transcend, Samsung, SanDisk, Kingston, PNY and other USB brands.
Avoid Data loss from USB by taking few preventive measures
- Verify and confirm before deleting files from USB
- Always keep the backup of your important files
- Avoid using the same USB drive on different systems
- Run an antivirus program when you insert the USB/ external drives
- Follow proper procedure while removing the USB drive from the computer