Did you just encounter that your SD card drive is displaying RAW instead of NTFS or FAT file systems? It means, your SD card has turned RAW and you will not be able to access any data stored on the drive. The free methods described in the article help you fix the RAW file system problem on any SD card. And also helps you recover data from the drive without letting you lose data from the SD card.
SD card displays RAW when the OS is unable to recognize the file system on the SD card of your camera or any device.
RAW drive indicates that the file system is unreadable by the OS. For the OS to recognize the File system, SD card has to be formatted to any other format such as NTFS or FAT.
Few RAW file system errors that you might have encountered when your SD card turns RAW
- The disk in drive is not formatted; do you want to format it now?
- Drive cannot be recognized or detected
- Drive is inaccessible.
- The drive shows 0 byte.
- Drive is not initialized or cannot be used.
- You need to format the disk in drive before using it
- Invalid media type reading drive. Abort, Retry, Fail? And other error messages
As explained above, the RAW file system appears when the OS doesn’t recognize the file system of the SD card. OS fails to recognize the drive when it cannot reach out to the Partition table or Master boot sector to get information about the drive.
- Therefore any damage caused to the partition table or boot sectors could lead to a RAW file system.
- Another major cause could be Virus or malware that are aimed to damage the boot sector and MBR.
- Improper partitioning of the drives i also one of the notorious causes leading to RAW drive
However, there are few circumstances where your partition table, boot sector will be undamaged and yet your Windows displays an RAW file system error the disk in drive is not formatted. If you go by the error and if you choose to format the RAW drive, your data will be at stake.
Recovering data from the drive that is turned RAW is recommended because fixing the RAW file system on camera or phones involves techniques such as Formatting.
Formatting the drive will completely erase the data from the SD card. Therefore it is recommended to recover data from the SD card drive before formatting and later perform repairs on the drive.
Designed with the most streamlined recovery algorithm the SFWare SD card recovery tool ensures recovery of files from RAW drive quick and easy. The tool easily reaches each sector of the drive to find the lost or missing files from the drive. Try recovering your files by downloading the software now and experience the hassle free recovery of RAW drive.
Once data has been recovered from the RAW file system, go ahead with the methods to fix SD card’s raw drive.
You can fix the RAW file system problem using any one of the approaches given below. To perform any of the methods, you need to connect your Camera or phone SD card to your computer.
Formatting With Diskpart
Diskpart is a command interpreter that helps you manage your computer drives such as disks, partitions and volumes.
- Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Administrator).
- Now you need to enter diskpart and press Enter again.
- Type list disk and hit Enter again. Select your RAW SD card and type:
- Type Disk * format fs=FAT32. (Replace * with the drive letter of your RAW SD card. Instead of FAT32, you can use exFAT, FAT or NTFS or recommended file system)
Once the process completes. Unplug the SD card reader and install in again.
Format using a File Explorer
- Right-click on Start and select File Explorer.
- Right-click on RAW SD card
- Select Format option from the list and set NTFS or FAT32 File System. Click ok.
Once you format the file system of the SD card, remove the SD card safely and verify again.
Format the RAW drive with Disk Management
Disk management is a system utility that helps you perform all the advanced storage tasks such as setting up a new drive, initializing a new drive, extending the partition etc. to format the RAW SD card following the below steps.
- On the desktop, right-click on This PC -> My Computer.
- Next, click Manage -> Disk Management.
- Choose the RAW SD card among the available volumes and right-click on it.
- Select the format and file system (FAT, exFAT, FAT32, NTFS). Click OK.
After the completion of the process, verify the file system on the SD card.
By the end, you will be able to fix the corrupt, damaged, or RAW SD card. If you have successfully formatted your drive using any of the above mentioned methods, drop your reviews in the comment section below.