If you’re using Outlook on Mac, it is not new to experience some synchronizing errors while working. If you are facing troubles while connecting Outlook to the server, you are o the right page. In this article you will be able to learn the reasons that causing the issue and trouble-shooting methods to fix the same. Know how to re-connect Mac Outlook to exchange server and methods to fix the Outlook Mac sync errors easily.
Outlook Application for Mac
As Outlook is originally developed by Microsoft on Windows. Due to its wide range of features and functionality, Outlook for Mac was a huge success. Microsoft Entourage was the first Outlook-like application for Mac OS in Office 2001, but it required Exchange connectivity. Later, Exchange server was made available for Mac OS X with Entourage 2004 Service Pack 2. Yet, Entourage is not similar to Outlook’s design or operation, but relatively a different application that has several similar features including Exchange client proficiencies.
In 2011, Entourage was replaced by Outlook for Mac that had great compatibility and similarity with Windows Outlook than Entourage offered. It is the first native version of Outlook for MacOS. Earlier, Outlook on Mac could only sync contacts and not any events, tasks or notes. However, with all the updated versions, now Outlook can now sync with emails, calendars, notes, tasks and events as well on Exchange Server.
Unlike to Windows Outlook, Mac Outlook doesn’t support OST/PST files, but it has .olm (OLM). A .olm file is a Mac Outlook data file that archives your email messages, contacts, calendars, tasks and notes as well. With improved Outlook predecessors, Outlook for Mac has also come with some connecting issues and that causes trouble to synchronize with Exchange Server. Not only on Mac, even Windows encounter Outlook errors frequently.
Why Mac Outlook Could Not Be Connected to Exchange Server?
Problems with the Exchange Server and Outlook could not be precisely explained but few of the common reasons could be-
- Outlook Mac on Offline mode
- Connectivity errors that might break the connection with Exchange Server
- Corrupted Outlook cache
- Inappropriate setting of Outlook configuration on Mac
If you encounter trouble establishing the connectivity with Exchange server, it could be due to any of the reasons mentioned above. In the next section you will be able to learn some of the best workarounds to fix the trouble.
How to Fix Outlook Does Not Sync with Exchange Server?
To fix Mac Outlook cannot connect to Exchange server can re resolved using the methods mentioned below:
Method 1: Verify the Offline Mode
This is the basic and the easiest method to verify the connectivity with the Server.
- To check the connectivity, Go to the Outlook Menu
- Verify if the Work Offline is selected or unselected
- If Work Offline is checked, uncheck the option
- Check if the synchronization problem is resolved
Method 2: Rebuild the Outlook file for Mac
This method helps you fix if your Outlook profile is corrupted. Therefore, rebuilding the Outlook helps to create new OLM files. To fix the synchronization issue with the Exchange server, follow the steps to rebuild the Outlook file for Mac
- Firstly, close all the running Outlook related processes on Mac computer.
- It is recommended to take a backup of the available folder of Outlook in C drive.
- Click on Outlook application + Alt key to start the Microsoft Database Utility app.
- Now, select the Outlook Profile that you want to recreate à click the Rebuild
- Wait until the process is completed.
Check if the connectivity is established and data can be synchronized with the Exchange Server.
Method 3: Clear Outlook Cache
You can make use of this method, when a specific folder has any problem with synchronizing and all the other folder are synch with Exchange Server.
- Initially you need to make sure that there is a connection between Outlook and Exchange Server on Mac system.
- Right-click on the specific Exchange folder which is not synchronizing ->select Properties.
- Now, go to General tab -> click the option Empty Cache.
Finally, you can verify if the folder is synchronized and new items are received in the folder.
Methods 4: Check Exchange Connectivity
Sometimes, the problem could arise when the address of the Exchange Server is incorrect or not set properly. If the problem is due to the connectivity error, follow the below steps and try fixing it.
- Open Outlook for Mac, go to Tools -> Accounts in your Mac
- Check over the Exchange Account.
- If you see the Orange dot against the added Exchange account, it means some problem exists on connectivity.
- Now, try disconnecting it and re-configuring
- Again, try connecting it with Outlook on the web and check the status of Exchange Server is changed.
- If everything is fine, connect the desired server again.
This method should work fine and fix the error if persists.
The above mentioned are most sought methods to fix the synchronization problem with Outlook and Exchange Server on Mac computers.
What if your data on Outlook Mac is inaccessible? How could you access the files? If you cannot access the data on your Mac Outlook, you can try converting Outlook OLM files to PST. PST is the Outlook data file support by Windows and you will need to access them on a different Windows computer.
How to Access inaccessible data on Outlook Mac?
If you encounter your Windows Outlook profile is corrupt, you need to fix the corruption at first and then try converting OLM to PST. To convert OLM to PST, you can either use any of the trusted third-party converting tools or software available for easy procedure.